Apple software quality in decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple software quality in decline

It's true, it's true, I read it on The Register!

On the iSync fiasco that didn't have to happen
    By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
    Posted: 05/06/2003 at 21:31 GMT

Steve Jobs should pause for thought before carrying out one of the ritual executions that follow a public humiliation. The fiasco over the release of the iSync software update - which lost real data central to users' lives - could have been easily avoided.

iSync brought 20 new devices under the umbrella, from several different handset manufacturers. Bluetooth has always been dogged with compatibility issues, and this was a disaster waiting to happen. But it didn't have to be this way, had Apple abandoned its traditional secrecy policy a smidgen, and undergone a real beta program with real users. This need not even have been a public beta. However the most catastrophic bugs could have found within hours.

For example, Rendezvous needs to a punch a hole through the OS X Firewall. So does the new iSync update. Ideally iSync would have opened port 3004 itself, just like all the other software that needs to get through the firewall. But the word didn't get out: it simply wasn't documented.

Apple chose to create a marketing event, a 'big bang' instead. The iSync release led the Apple website on Tuesday, with a smart graphic of raining phones. Then our troubles began.

A reader, Richard Phillips, says this attitude is endemic.

"Apple do seem to be releasing stuff that should really still be in beta at the moment," he writes. "Take a look at the Apple site discussion groups regarding the new iPod (which I have) it's so bug prone it's next to useless.

"And this time it's not just Apple users asking for the Lilly to be gilted, there seems to be a whole raft of problems with it - most of which should never have got past the QA stage."

We understand - and we hope it's not true - that Apple failed to contact the handset vendors for technical data which would have guaranteed better interoperability. To some extent, everyone does Bluetooth their own way, hence the need for plug-fests.

Instead of a plug-fest, we got a bug-fest.

While Apple's secrecy is understandable in advance of the introduction of major new products, it's unforgivable for potentially catastrophic software releases.

We must ask Apple to stop experimenting on humans as live guinea pigs, and allow the QA guys to introduce a form of vivisection we know in the software business as a "Beta Program".

Apple's leadership in Bluetooth is impressive, especially compared to the horrific user experience of Bluetooth on Windows. Let's hope it learns the lessons and gets back on track.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

:yawn:
    I never used isync, and have no need for it... Everyone makes mistakes... Hell, the version of Myth 2 which was released on pc erased your whole hard drive if you uninstalled it... talk about vindictive programmers!

My apple products work fine, even my ipod. I do wish that Apple would be a little bit less tight-lipped however... We don't need the compatibility problems that pc users have to deal with.
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

Remember the iTunes installer that toasted people's HD who had two partitions?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

If you scratched the Apple from the headline, ie software quality in decline as a whole, I would agree with it.

It seems we're paying more for less every day. No wonder people download warez. Is it the cause, or the effect? Any answer is just speculation, but I'm very cynical about "new breakthroughs", "wondrous new software capabilities" when companies won't beta test and pay peanuts.

Makes me think I'll go the shareware route when I've got code to offer (don't hold your breath - that's years away).
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

It amuses me that a poster named 'Cruddy' is talking about cruddy software . Don't know why... just does.... ok, move along .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yet again you get spanked. The end of that article.

Apple's leadership in Bluetooth is impressive, especially compared to the horrific user experience of Bluetooth on Windows. Let's hope it learns the lessons and gets back on track
            So his conclusion is: however horrible isync is, it's still better than MS's offerings.

isync sucks, I never have occasion to use it. I get the feeling that the author of this article is just whining because his phone doesn't work. There doesn't seem to be the buzz on the mac sites I go to that would indicate this is a major problem for most users.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
              If you scratched the Apple from the headline, ie software quality in decline as a whole, I would agree with it.
              This app has been plagued with problems from the word go. It doesn't represent the rest of Apple's stuff which works just fine.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

I don't really see why people are saying software is more expensive. Most new games cost $30 to $50 while back in the day it was $50 to $70. Back then you usually had to call (usually long distance) for tech support too.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                  Yet again you get spanked. The end of that article.
                  Look at my text in the first post, I thought it was obvious I don't take TheRegister completely serious.

TheRegister is an anti-MS tabloid of an online site (really).

So his conclusion is: however horrible isync is, it's still better than MS's offerings.
                  MS doesn't have an iSync offering, so no wonder, huh?

Also, read carefully, he never mentioned anything about MS' offerings, just experiences with them on Windows (because they're 100% third party, they just happen to run on Windows).

Comment

Re: Apple software quality in decline

An MS fan comments on the software quality of another company. This is one of the best ironies I have seen.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Apple in general has been in decline as per market share in the past couple of years.. it was only a matter of time until they had less money to spend on their products.
                      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Re: Re: Apple software quality in decline

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

An MS fan comments on the software quality of another company. This is one of the best ironies I have seen.
                        MS software quality has been on the rise.

Even the strictest of Linux zealots would agree WinXP > Win98 > Win95 > Win3.1

(I'm pretending WinMe didn't exist, because it didn't! )

Comment

I don't know where I would be without Windows 2000 Pro... truly in my opinion, an excellent operating system.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                            Makes me think I'll go the shareware route when I've got code to offer (don't hold your breath - that's years away).
                            Shareware? You know, you aren't going to get much money from that. Shareware IMO one of the worst trade-offs between getting money and being a good, useful person... and one of the more annoying ones, too. Besides, by the time you get into the software "industry", the Free Software Revolution *coughs* will already have taken place .

MS software quality has been on the rise.
                            I agree. Fortunately, however, MS evilness is also on the rise and people are starting to notice it .

I'm pretending WinMe didn't exist, because it didn't!
                            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              Remember the iTunes installer that toasted people's HD who had two partitions?
                              You mean like all the installers of Windows 9x, who automatically assumed, that they have the whole HD for themselves and screwed everything else without even asking?

Comment

Working...
                              X