SQL quickie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL quickie

how do i find the minimum value of a column based on another column?

ie If I had columns 'age' and 'height', how would I get the min (height) for (say) ages 9,12,15 ommiting all the other ages?

cheers

SELECT MIN(height) FROM table WHERE age=9 OR age=12 OR age=15

it might need to be...

SELECT MIN(height) AS MinHeight FROM table WHERE age=9 OR age=12 OR age=15
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

many thanks Asher

Comment

No problem. I'm dealing with programming SQL on a daily basis now so it was pretty easy to answer.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

you got that job you said you had the second interview for a while back?

Comment

Yeah.

Sole programmer for a small business, making an app that calculates and spits out building instructions (they make stairs), maintains a DB of the customers, workorders, and stair models, integrates with Simply Accounting (invoices, etc) and AutoCAD (designs and models).

It's great fun. Great pay, too. And zero supervision.

Comment

Congrats, Asher!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                It's great fun. Great pay, too. And zero supervision.
                The 3 'musts' IMHO!

Nice One!

Comment

SELECT MIN(height) FROM table WHERE age in (9,12,15)

gives the same result and in most circumstances runs quicker (only matters if it is running slowly, of course).
                  "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                  "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                  - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    Sole programmer for a small business, making an app that calculates and spits out building instructions (they make stairs), maintains a DB of the customers, workorders, and stair models, integrates with Simply Accounting (invoices, etc) and AutoCAD (designs and models).
                    Integrating with AutoCAD? With SQL?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

No, the program just needs to integrate with AutoCAD so he can import blueprints into the program. SQL would only save the filenames of the blueprints.

Simply Accounting is wonderful to work with -- it actually stores all its information in an Access 2000 DB. All I needed to do was toss together a MS Jet OLE DB consumer (via the wizards, took seconds), and I'm putzing around inside all the data that I need with an SQL connection.
                      Last edited by Asher; June 6, 2003, 00:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X