No announcement yet.

Interest Rates in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its competitive because of the deregualted financial services market and because there is no government backed loan scheme as in other countries
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Tolls
      "Yeah, but why?"

I have no idea why...do interest rates vary more in the UK compared to the mainland?
      Generally the penalty is made to deter the client to look for a refinancing elsewhere.
      Statistical anomaly.
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        A penalty? The mortgage business is in business to write mortgages. Don't know why they would cut off their ears to spite their faces.
        The risk they take by issueing a fixed rate is partly spun into the penalty. The refinancing fees... do you think many people in the US do refinancings that don't actually pay off due to those fees?
        “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
          Its competitive because of the deregualted financial services market and because there is no government backed loan scheme as in other countries
          It's competitive here too, they're quite creative on their deals (was some heavy calculating to figure out the best deal).

The backed loan scheme doesn't change that, as it is available for all lenders to put into their deals or not. The government only supports them with a premium.
          “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

do you think many people in the US do refinancings that don't actually pay off due to those fees?

Well, they pay off. But sometimes the payoff is mostly to the mortgage companies.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Can anyone tell me why the DAX is down today?

edit: Did it all go to the bond market?
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                Can anyone tell me why the DAX is down today?

edit: Did it all go to the bond market?
                The CAC is also down - 0.97% as well as the Ftse 100 - 0.54%.

I dont believe in reasons supposed to explain daily variations.
                Statistical anomaly.

Comment

The BBC says that its because of the job market data from the US.

Economic data usually affects movement in the DOW, depending on the data.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                    The BBC says that its because of the job market data from the US.

Economic data usually affects movement in the DOW, depending on the data.
                    Yes, they say that here too, but tomorrow the US job market will not have varied much, and another information will explain the daily variation.
                    Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Data like this usually leads people to sell stocks and buy bonds. Tonight people will think about if there was over selling today. If there was over selling then we will see buying tomorrow. I can't see the market going up over all until there is more information on the economy or the market.

edit: actually expectations for data affect the markets too.

Comment

We'll see tomorrow. The total non-farm jobs numbers come out tomorrow. The number is suppose to drop by 50,000. If it doesn't fall by that much investors will buy stocks.

Comment

At the moment few companies are offering a good fixed rate w/o penalties, get the cheapest discounted variable deal you can get - thats my advice.
                          The Market is also competetive due to the explosion of the Internet and Telephone lenders in recent years (I know since i work for the first real one of these!!) who have little costs and as a result are pricing competively, this means the Banks can no longer change what they want - Then there's high risk lenders, lending to high risk poeple at a slight premium so more people are getting mortgages nowadays.
                          Up The Millers

Comment

Working...
                          X