What kind of video card should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tingkai
    The way some of you talk, building your own computer sounds easy. Is it?
    Yes. Even Provost Harrison could do it, and he's just a silly biochemist
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You know in the past he was talking about having such a good education... well one of my uncles has a PhD (have to ask my mom in what) yet he filed for bankruptcy a few years ago because he couldn't pay credit card bills..
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

What, is there a grudge match or something?
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I'm now thinking about buying a pre-made computer rather than doing he upgrade myself simply because the cost isn't that different. For about HK$3,000 (Cdn$500, US$385), I can get:
          AMD XP2000
          60gb hard-drive
          Magic-pro motherboard MP-K7V-400
          256 ram
          Radeon 9500 128mb

The store I went to said they would install my old CD-drive and 3.5-drive into the new computer.

I might go for a cheaper video card. The Radeon 9200 is HK$500 cheaper.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Yeah, but don't forget the cost of the Operating System - or have you got an original Windows 98 Second Edition CD?

Check what board they are fitting and what speed of memory. From what I can gather (can't read Chinese) the specs look good - but see if there's any troubleshooting forums around, or any known problems.

The trouble with paying someone else to do it is they may cut corners you don't want, like fitting 200MHz RAM when you expected 266 MHz or faster.

As for the video card - yeah a 9200 should still let you play games in 3 years, although you might be limited to 800 X 600 res or even 640 x 480 to get a decent speed.

It's never bothered me. It's only really an issue on sniping games where you need to target at a distance.

EDIT: Got the English version and that looks a nice board for the price. I've always preferred 4 channel sound for 3D games - it makes it easier to work out where the incoming shots are coming from! Assuming you have 4 speakers fitted, of course.
            Last edited by Cruddy; June 9, 2003, 01:41.
            Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
            "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
              I'm now thinking about buying a pre-made computer rather than doing he upgrade myself simply because the cost isn't that different. For about HK$3,000 (Cdn$500, US$385), I can get:
              AMD XP2000
              60gb hard-drive
              Magic-pro motherboard MP-K7V-400
              256 ram
              Radeon 9500 128mb

The store I went to said they would install my old CD-drive and 3.5-drive into the new computer.

I might go for a cheaper video card. The Radeon 9200 is HK$500 cheaper.
              I would go for the Asus A7N8X mobo. A bit more expensive, but definitely worth every cent. Also, make sure they do not skim on the power supply. Pay extra for an Enermax or a similar brand if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I would go for the Asus A7N8X mobo. A bit more expensive, but definitely worth every cent. Also, make sure they do not skim on the power supply. Pay extra for an Enermax or a similar brand if you need to.
                Erm... Is there any point with an XP2000? It's not like it can take 400MHz RAM modules.

Or can it? I honestly don't know.
                Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Working...
                X