Quick Power Conversion Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Power Conversion Question

I want to bring a North American desktop PC to Korea (220V 2 pin) and I want to know if there is an adapter that will let me use my 3 pin North American power bar in a 2 (round) pin 220V Asian plug.

Is it possible? Or will I have to buy a Korean powerbar and bring a bunch of adapters?

I will obviously buy the bulky monitor in Korea.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

IIRC, North American is 110V AC, right?
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Normal outlets in your house are 110VAC, your drier, however, would be a 208 or 220VAC..
      Monkey!!!

Comment

In any case, I don't see any trouble. if the voltage is different you might have to pick up an adapter, though. ( but these must be available also. plus, IIRC, there is a switch in the back of the PC powerpack that allows you to use both 110V, and 220V )
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Quick Power Conversion Question

Originally posted by Seeker
          I want to bring a North American desktop PC to Korea (220V 2 pin) and I want to know if there is an adapter that will let me use my 3 pin North American power bar in a 2 (round) pin 220V Asian plug.
          Just slice the old plug off and attach a new one.

However, you need a transformer to step down the voltage. Otherwise you will fry your PC. Unless the power supply can run on dual voltages with a switch to toggle.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I already said all of that.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I think you will need a transformer so that you don't destroy your computer...
              Monkey!!!

Comment

No, NO NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just buy a new PC power supply when you get to Korea. It will be MILES cheaper than buying a step down transformer, and it means it will cost less to transport (just leave your current one at home).

It's ALSO GUARANTEED TO WORK. Running a step down transformer just adds another gadget to the system - why spend more money AND make things more complex?

Over here in Europe, about half of computer PSUs have a 110/220 volt switch. If you move to a different power zone you just get a new power lead (with the right plug attached) and flick the switch. Easy eh?
                Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

It's ALSO GUARANTEED TO WORK. Running a step down transformer just adds another gadget to the system - why spend more money AND make things more complex?
                  You answered your own question --> More Gadgets!!!
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

So Europa& Asia has more RAW POWER!!!!

..wow that was a good SpamPost :=)
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Wtf can't the US get a unified 220 voltage. instead it has to split it to usual and washing machines?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                        Wtf can't the US get a unified 220 voltage. instead it has to split it to usual and washing machines?
                        But wouldn´t they need then lots of transformers for their current hardware?
                        Blah

Comment

Oh, I don't know. It's probably more efficient than having individual transformers in all the gadgets that step down to the right voltage.

Statiscally the UK gets less electrical accidents than Europe with the same voltage system due to the huge earth plug on UK mains systems. Unfortunately, we get more fatalaties (when it goes wrong, it goes SERIOUSLY wrong).

Originally posted by Japherl

You answered your own question --> More Gadgets!!!
                          WTF are you talking about???????

I am suggesting he take the PC LESS the PSU. You are suggesting he take the PC with PSU AND a step down transformer - do you have ANY idea how much these weigh? Or how much the baggage handling change will be for that extra 10 kilos when the poor guy could save 2 kilos and take an extra pair of sneakers or a couple of good books?

Get real.
                          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Some home appliances need tri-state outlets
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The voltage in Europe usually is 230V now (with 10% allowed fluctuations) - and wash machines, stoves and stuff like that usually connect to 400V
                              here in Switzerland all houses are usually connected to all 3 phases produced by power generators which gives you 3 times a 240V connection and also three times a 400V one by taking 2 phases together (and no, taking all three phases together won't raise the voltage again ).

Comment

Working...
                              X