Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More than two terms for US President? (22nd Amendment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than two terms for US President? (22nd Amendment)

This is an issue in the media that I'm seeing a lot lately. Forgive me if there is a thread on this already. What do you guys think of this issue? Should there be a two-term/10 year limit on the presidency? IIRC one can only be elected twice but can be president for 10 years (assuming one takes office in the last two years as vice pres).

I disagree with term limits. But I also have other ideas on how I'd like to see the executive branch run.

My plan:
    no term limits
    elections every 5 years
    the option for a "no-confidence" vote at any time (activated by either the Supreme Court or the Congress... I haven't formulated exactly how)

Personally, I think the current discussion has more to do with the Democracts being desperate to get a winner. I think the DNC is scared that they don't have a Bush-beater, and the one man they'd like is the one man who can't get elected now.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

I want everything to remain the way it is. As some say "If it ain't broke, don't try fix it."

The democrats don't have anybody. Not one person I see that even stands a chance against an incumbent.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Clinton wants them removed, and instead have "2 CONSECUTIVE terms".

and thats bill, not the wh0re.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Bill only wants that so he can try to run again. I had enough of his stupid face and some old nonsense. He reminds me of Felipe Gonzalez. Gone with the wind!
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Nope. They should keep the term limits for president.

Additionally, they should have term limits for Congressmen and women.

....just look at Strom Thurmon (he's that really really old guy that retired).....or Trent Lott (via Segregation)
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

No limit. People will vote out the president if his ratings fall far enough. There is not need to artificially keep him from running again.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

and thats bill, not the wh0re.

No, I don't think the 22nd Amendment should be repealed. You don't want a President to be in power for 30 years, even if people keep voting for him, IMO. One reason is you really get alienated from the people when you spend all that time in Washington. 2nd, the President as head of state and head of government shouldn't be concentrated in one man for too long... as they say power corrupts. Eight years corrupts enough, imagine 24?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

frankychan -- you assume that South Carolina voters would have voted someone more intelligent... which I doubt

same with Lott and Mississippi

I think that the 22nd amendment is anti-democratic (not the party, but the political system) because it limits the people to who they can choose.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

No, I don't think the 22nd Amendment should be repealed. You don't want a President to be in power for 30 years, even if people keep voting for him, IMO. One reason is you really get alienated from the people when you spend all that time in Washington. 2nd, the President as head of state and head of government shouldn't be concentrated in one man for too long... as they say power corrupts. Eight years corrupts enough, imagine 24?
                  The people should be able to choose that. They dont need someone to tell them that a president has become corrupt or out of touch.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

i believe it should be abolished as there are some exceptional presidents like Clinton for example who could last longer
                    Up The Millers

Comment

Clinton was a terrible president.

Comment

not as bad as bush

Comment

I'm absolutely opposed to term limits. It's for the electorate and the electorate only to decide whether somebody is up to the job.
                          Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

The people should be able to choose that. They dont need someone to tell them that a president has become corrupt or out of touch.

The people aren't smart enough to know that... look who they elect to Congress .

i believe it should be abolished as there are some exceptional presidents like Clinton for example who could last longer

I always thought the funniest part of this statement is that Clinton probably wouldn't have become President if the 22nd was abolished (Reagan would have easily won Term #3 and #4, then stepped aside and Bush I would have faced another Democrat in '96).
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                              Bill only wants that so he can try to run again. I had enough of his stupid face and some old nonsense. He reminds me of Felipe Gonzalez. Gone with the wind!
                              Yes, yes. We're all tired of a decade of peace and prosperity - that same old nonsense.

Sava, I would argue that the cabinet should be strengthened. Say independently elected, or irremovable without the consent of the senate.

Correspondingly, a weakened president who acts more as a facilitator in managing the allocation of resources between the cabinet (but doesn't have ultimate say).

One reason I say this is because of the horrible political situation in the US. All but the most economically libertarian-minded chumps favor strong environmental protections. This way the republicans could huff and puff about national security all they wanted and we'd still get a green as head of the EPA - and one that couldn't be shut down by the president. Imagine, Ralph Nader as elected head of the EPA - unbuyable by big pollution.

Moreover, it would be more democratic. The will of the people can be better represented by dividing executive functions up.
                              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Working...
                              X