Reclassification of Chimpanzees??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclassification of Chimpanzees??

Interesting National Geographic article I came across -- here's the link.

National Geographic Article

What is anyone's take on this?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

People are getting upset about this and I don't have the slightest idea why. Doesn't exactly replace us from the top of the food chain, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
      People are getting upset about this and I don't have the slightest idea why. Doesn't exactly replace us from the top of the food chain, you know.
      Because some people are not comfortable with seeing ourselves as an animal species? Maybe that's why -- and you're right, such close-minded opinions seem ridiculuous.

Comment

Well, if it looks like an animal, moves like an animal, and eats like an animal, it is likely an animal. Talk about denying the senses of one's own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          Well, if it looks like an animal, moves like an animal, and eats like an animal, it is likely an animal. Talk about denying the senses of one's own eyes!
          yep

Comment

yep x 2
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

sure, humans are animals. doesn't mean that all animals have rights, though. just humans.

we had a thread on this.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

If they are reclassified as humans, will we still be able to experiment on them, keep them in cages, etc? How will the law relate to a different branch of humanity?
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I had the same question. we reached a conclusion in the other thread. the conclusion was that they're not humans.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

I don't know that one can make the blanket statement that man is an animal.

Look around ACS. Quite a few vegetables represented.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      I don't know that one can make the blanket statement that man is an animal.

Look around ACS. Quite a few vegetables represented.
                      Are you saying that humans are not really animals because we are sentient beings?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        If they are reclassified as humans, will we still be able to experiment on them, keep them in cages, etc? How will the law relate to a different branch of humanity?
                        I guess this is where some of the controversy comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Are you saying that humans are not really animals because we are sentient beings?

I'm pretty sure he's just making a dig at some of us.

Comment

Vegetables, as in mental apparatus not functioning.
                            Not as in, rooted.

Jeez. You Iowan's.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This sounds like a scientist bidding for his next research grant by being controversial.

Classification is not a precise science and there is rather more to it than simply how close the DNA of two species are. The skeletons of chimps are closer to gorillas than to humans in many ways and for most species the bones are all there is, no DNA. If you start to insist on DNA above all else for classification then that is effectively saying that most extinct species where there are only fossils cannot be classified. Basically this proposal is extremist rubbish and a product of an inbred quarrel between two groups of scientists on what is the most important criterion for classification, characteristics or DNA.
                              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                              X