X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iraqi PoW 'torture' pictures

[SIZE=1] Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
    Well there a few issues here:
    1. Should these guys and their commanders go to Hague?

2. This must have been a true idiot when he went to develop the pictures in a "high street shop"!!! so he got caught - where were the normal people responsible for reporting abuse.

3. How many more? are these the only ones? how responsible is the command structure to report abuse of POW's etc.
    1. I'd assume the British military justice system would be adequate to handle it. Particularly for commanders, "war crimes" would be problematic to prosecute unless you could show that commanders knew of, or else ordered such practices. Negligence wouldn't be prosecutable, unless it was to a degree tantamount to knowing and doing nothing.

2. Since the descriptions appear to be along the lines of buggery, etc., this was probably done pretty surreptitiously in the field, but filming it and having it developed is pretty stupid.

3. See above. Buggery and such isn't the normal mode of mistreating POW's.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

A decade ago, trophy photos of a Canadian soldier grinning beside a bloody and battered young prisoner led to the disbanding of the Canadian Airborne Regiment after a peacekeeping mission in Somalia. Eight soldiers were later charged after the beating death of 16-year-old Somali Shidane Arone.
      If these guys are only caught when they take photos it makes me wonder how much of this stuff goes on thats never caught on film or prosecuted. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Um, you do realize the article is about the British military, don't you?
        hahah oops

Arrian

I skimmed it...
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That sucks. I definetly hope they are court marshalled and serve lots of jail time (and the same goes for any Americans who did anything similar).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Read the story about film developing yesterday... I'm glad to see that there is now some investigation. Soldiers who liberate people from opressors are none too good if that's what they do afterwards.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

So do we now allow gays in the army?
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
              X