Speed Cameras Should Be Used More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Cameras Should Be Used More

The main objections that I hear to the existing or increasing deployment of speed cameras are as follows.

i) They make you drive too slow

- I'd agree that this is the case on most motorways and indeed, some 60mph and 50mph zones. One example near to me is St. Peter's Way. It used to be a 60mph zone. You could safely travel 70mph on it. However, they then decreased the speed limit to 50mph, and brought in two speed cameras about half a mile apart.

Result? People braking in order to avoid the speed cameras. And then accelerating. Very dangerous. While cases like this have to be dealt with pragmatically, I'm sure the majority of car drivers would accept residential speed limits of 20mph that were strictly enforced, in addition to increasing the limit on motorways to 80mph.

ii) They are just trying to catch drivers out; speed cameras should be brightly painted and visible

- Absolutely awful argument. Perhaps police officers should publish details of where they will be at certain times as well?

By stating where law enforcement is carried out, speed cameras only slow people down for short periods - very dangerous, especially in moderate to heavy traffic. If, however, you were told on approaching a 10 mile stretch of motorway that speed cameras were in operation (as every bloody speed camera should be at all times), you would rationally stick to the speed limit throughout that stretch.

The vast majority of speed cameras should be hidden, except in one or two areas where a lot of accidents have happened due to speed. Here, they should be very, very obvious.

A combination of the two is wise - not one or the other.

iii) They are just trying to get more money out of motorists!

- The amount of taxes levied on other motorists in other areas is another argument; there is absolutely nothing wrong with making proven criminals (which is what speeding drivers that are pictured are) pay a fine.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone in society if the general tax level were reduced as a result of criminals paying more for their actions?

---

The only valid argument as I see it is i). Perhaps speed limits do need to be changed on motorways in order to represent that advancements in car engineering and safety that have occurred. This could be coupled with a reduction from 30mph to a strict 20mph limit in residential areas.

Arguments ii) and iii) are ridiculous ones that only serve to discredit the car lobby.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

I disagree with the way you stated point ii, even though I actually agree with most of what you said.

The main problem with the initial speed camera policy was that it was used to generate revenue by putting the cameras on roads that weren't dangerous but that people always sped on. Downhill stretches of straight road etc.

The new policy is to put clearly visible cameras on dangerous stretches of road where there are lots of accidents. The idea now is accident prevention and saving lives rather than trying to catch people speeding which I think is a much more valid reason for their deployment.

The cameras that are hidden just as extra revenue gatherers are little more than an extra tax on motorists. I'd rather all the money for speed cameras was spent putting them in places that will increase safety.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Cameras on long straight bits of empty motorway eg the M62 to Hull after the A1 junction is stupid, they should be on accident blackspots and outside schools
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Mike, don't you see that if drivers knew that speed cameras were in operation on most roads - but didn't know where they were, they would be compelled to drive at safe speeds all the time?

"The cameras that are hidden just as extra revenue gatherers are little more than an extra tax on motorists"

They are a tax on criminals, not on motorists. I would be happy enough to see all revenues gained from speed cameras to be invested into the road network - hence the speeding drivers effectively subsidise those that keep to the rules of the road.

"The new policy is to put clearly visible cameras on dangerous stretches of road where there are lots of accidents. The idea now is accident prevention and saving lives rather than trying to catch people speeding "

As I said, I'd recommend a combination of both, visible and hidden. It's not acceptable to see that accidents happen in one place and merely target that place. That is implicitly giving the motorist the impression that it is OK to exceed the speed limit elsewhere.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Fahr'n, fahr'n, fahr'n auf der Autobahn... I'm all for increased control in inner city areas and suburbs, but I'm not too concerned about the highways, or freeways, or motorways, or whatever the correct word is.

Comment

Increase speed limits in highways, increase patrolling in inner-city.

Our speed limit is 110kmh, and that is on a single road. most of the highways are 100/90. like someone's going that speed. I usually go 100-140 on intercity highways.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Speed limits here in NZ are stupid. We have a basic, 50KM/h in town, 70KM/h on the lesser built up areas, and 100KM/h everywhere else.

This means you can go 100 on country roads where it is unsafe to go 50, and get a speeding ticket on the motorway where it is safe for 160.

And the police here always patrol in spots with a lot of safely speeding traffic ... the desert road for instance. A road that can safely be run at 150 most of the way.
              Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
              Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

there are deserts in NZ?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

A Desert in NZ is where it only rains twice a day
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Azazel ... nope.

The road has tussock growing along it all the way .
                    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Beats me why we allow the production of non-emergency service vehicles that can go faster than they are allowed to.

It would put a lot of traffic cops out of work - they'd have to do some real police jobs instead.
                      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

They should blow speed cameras up.
                        The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
                          They should blow speed cameras up.
                          Don't say that!

The UK went through a spell of putting cutouts of police cars on bridges over motorways "to deter speeding" . If some idiot at the Department of Transport hears what you are saying we will have millions of inflatable yellow speed cameras all over the place.
                          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                            Mike, don't you see that if drivers knew that speed cameras were in operation on most roads - but didn't know where they were, they would be compelled to drive at safe speeds all the time?

Bodd dont u see that if drivers knew that cops were in operation on most roads - but didn't know where they were, they would be compelled to drive at safe speeds all the time?
                            :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Zero

Bodd dont u see that if drivers knew that cops were in operation on most roads - but didn't know where they were, they would be compelled to drive at safe speeds all the time?
                              Cameras are more cost effective. They also free up police for tasks that do actually require immediate human intervention.
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                              X