So, what happened to Porphyrogenitus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what happened to Porphyrogenitus?

Inspired by the latest edition of the "whatever happened" thread, I searched to see where and if Porphy was around somewhere on the internet. For those who didn't get to know him, Porphy was the guy who possibly helped the most to raise standards of discussion here at the forums as well as the one who introduced people to the Diplomacy games. Or as far as I remember, at least.

Now, it seems he's got a site up and running, and I thought I'd encourage y'all to take a look, if not for anything else, then for the fact that he used to be a cool Apolytoner. Hardly surprising, it's located at www.porphyrogenitus.net

Eh, are you sure this is our Porphy we're talking about here?
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Yes, it is, I recalled he once gave away his name on Apolyton, James R-. Also, on the biography page at porphyrogenitus.net, he tells a story that he told here as well, the one about his gaming material being stolen and how he got some of it back again. It's the same guy for sure.

Comment

There can't be more than a handful of people who remember him though. Was it Spink who came up with the "Porphyrogenitals" joke?

Comment

It's so long ago that he posted here that none of his previous posts are showing in his profile: http://apolyton.net/forums/member.ph...nfo&userid=997
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Hi Morten, not sure if it was me who came up with it but I certainly used it most.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Porphyria...

Isn't that a disease that causes you to dislike the lower classes?
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Great analysis of the EU Constitution there...
                  Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Re: So, what happened to Porphyrogenitus?

Originally posted by Monk
                    For those who didn't get to know him, Porphy was the guy who possibly helped the most to raise standards of discussion here at the forums as well as the one who introduced people to the Diplomacy games. Or as far as I remember, at least.
                    You mean the standards were lower before?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That's some pretty dry writing, save that concerning golf/tennis...
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

I remember Porphy, but not too much about him.

Comment

I don't know anything about this guy. I assume he has left 'Poly long before I posted.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Urban Ranger,

Comment

In case anyone is curious Porphy left 'poly after posting in a couple of story threads in which he was an excellent writer and story-teller. However he was very aggressive and competitive, fighting him in any kind of story thread war was like fighting an avelanche. Eventually he decided that people weren't just whining and he really was too aggressive and left story threads and poly in general. He's been missed
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X