Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Rock n Roll?

What is Rock n Roll?

Is it the music, the style, the ideals, the attitude, the behaviour, the discord, the guitars, a combination of these and others?

What is it??

Just a random thought in my mind, any ideas?
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

I know it as "if it involves a guitar".
    :-p

Comment

I heard it can kill plants

Comment

"Rock and Roll is about peace and love"

Lenny Kravitz on The Simpsons.
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Rock and roll has to be loud and have lots of percussion.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

The heart of rock and roll,
            The heart of rock and roll
            Is the beat

Comment

It's a lifestyle, man.
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Rock and Roll has to have very strong beats.

When I.M. Pei was asked to design the Museum of Rock and Roll (I think it is located in Chicago), they sent him a whole bunch of songs to figure out what Rock and Roll was. After a while, Pei called the organisers back, saying, "I got it! Rock and Roll is energy!"

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It's the tool of the devil!
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

How big is this tool?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Ever read Niven's Inferno?
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I am not reading anything he coauthored with Pournelle. Even a little bit of Pournelle is too much Pournelle in a fictional work.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Rock and Roll was a slang expression of the black community of the US to refer to sex.

Comment

"The Blues had a baby, and they named it Rock and Roll."
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Encyclopedia Britannica has the following:

Main Entry: rock and roll
                              Function: noun
                              Date: 1954
                              See: 2ROCK

So we go to the second definition of "Rock" and find:

Main Entry: 2rock
                              Function: noun
                              Usage: often attributive
                              Date: 1823
                              1 : a rocking movement
                              2 : popular music usually played on electronically amplified instruments and characterized by a persistent heavily accented beat, much repetition of simple phrases, and often country, folk, and blues elements

If you want my opinion, the defining characteristic that separates r&r from earlier musical forms is the use of electricity to power their instruments, amplify voices, etc. That, and a return to compositional simplicity.

Frankly, I call most post-1954 music "rock and roll", regardless of whether it is "pop", "hard rock", "alternative", etc, but I do so more as a means of linguistic shorthand than out of any definitive knowledge of the strands that tie the variations together.

Comment

Working...
                              X