Getting old games to work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting old games to work...

if you enable EMS in config.sys, they start saying there's not enough DOS memory. what can be done?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

what OS are you in?

sounds like win95/98... ?
    B♭3

Comment

I bet its Win98, Ive had that problem before. I dont remeber exactly what I had to do. All I can remember is that it took a disk, a lot of reading, and editing of some system files.

sorry Im not much help

Comment

I installed the SMAC on my new Pentium IV XP machine, and the game promptly whined that the CPU is unrecognized!

Fallout 2 won't run under WinXP and Win2000, even with the compatibility pacl installed.

Baldur's Gate 1(!) still runs very well under Windows XP.

I haven't tried older games, but I suspect that anything that is designed for Win95 will certainly not run under XP and 2000.

Comment

smac has a workaround for that, on the firaxis site. it has something to do with editing the terran.ini file and changing the voxel setting.

things designed for win95 may run on xp. oregon trail 2, for instance, does. games older than that... we'll, it's a coin toss. try downloading vdmsound, which can emulate the sound cards for older games, and sorta helps... if you're in win2k/xp.
          B♭3

Comment

AS if you are using Win98 try booting your system with step by step confirmation anabeled. This way you can choose wich lines of the config.sys and autoexec.bat to run at boot up. You should leave only those that the game in question requires to run.
            Quendelie axan!

Comment

Install MS-DOS.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Or just use a boot-disk.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I was looking for a way to play NHL95 on my WinXP machine. Anyone know where I can make a boot-disk easy? I know I need to include lines in autoexec.bat and config.sys in order to activate my sound card, joystick, and mouse; but I don't know where to find the info in winXP. Can anyone help me?
                  thanks
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

mm.
                    winxp dropped dos, so that's a mite more difficult to do. best bet is to get someone else's comp, which has win9x, to make a boot disk for ya.

although, nhl95? i liked 2k2 much better.
                    B♭3

Comment

nhl95 is just a classic... the best arcade-style hockey I've played. NHL2003 is fun, a definite improvement in graphics in sound, but I don't seem to get as addicted to it as I was nhl95.

I don't play any other NHL-games... I've rented the competition on console versions and they sucked.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Fallout 2 won't run under WinXP and Win2000, even with the compatibility pacl installed
                        works for me no problem.

AS if you are using Win98 try booting your system with step by step confirmation anabeled. This way you can choose wich lines of the config.sys and autoexec.bat to run at boot up. You should leave only those that the game in question requires to run.
                        thats what I had to do.

Comment

For most games in win98 right click the *.exe file that starts the game select properties and adjust the dos functions as needed.

One could also create a bootdisk exclusively for that game.

Nhl 95 should work if you select the *.exe file that starts the game click on properties an then make it compatable not for win95 but win98.

A winme bootdisk does work in xp and xp does work in dos. Provided you have it as fat32, if not use a third party software to make ntfs workable in a dos environment.
                          “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                          Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                          X