Is the Yen pegged to the Dollar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Yen pegged to the Dollar?

The Yen has been pretty steady against the dollar for about a year now. Anyone think the BOJ has pegged it to the dollar or is this just a coincidence?

Pegging the yen
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Interesting. I've been watching for the Philippine peso to rise against the dollar, but it hasn't really. I've considered sending every penny to finish some work that needs doing while the dollar is still strong, but now I'm not sure...
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      Interesting. I've been watching for the Philippine peso to rise against the dollar, but it hasn't really. I've considered sending every penny to finish some work that needs doing while the dollar is still strong, but now I'm not sure...
      Work in PI?

Comment

It is in a free float but with current circumstances won't go much anywhere.

The assumption that it is pegged in my opinion is unfounded.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

No, my wife, who is a Filipina, and I are going to retire over there in 4 or 5 years. We have a home there with one bedroom to finish, and some tile work to do. Maybe $1200 worth of stuff. We're waiting for a couple of reasons.

Comment

I don't know about the peso, but I think there will be pressure to keep its value close to the dollar in the near future. The reasons are similar to why the Yen has been kept close to the dollar.

Comment

Years ago, Sten told me here on this forum that if the dollar fell, the PhP would likely fall with it...

Wonder how he knew?

Comment

The BoJ has been trying to keep the value of the Yen relatively low against the dollar for the last 10 years. I suspect that has the dollar gives up the 35% gain it made against the Euro last year the Japanese will be working hard to make sure the Yen goes down with it so as to not cut off the exports to the US which keep Japan out of depression.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A peg will never work. It will cause all kinds of problems. There was a 1 to 1 peg for the Argentine Peso to the US Dollar. It didn't work.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I'm not saying there is an official peg, just that the BOJ might be unofficially maintaining the value of the Yen to that of the dollar.

Comment

That won't either.. it has been tried and has caused all kinds of anomalies in the currency boards. I think there is no pegging going on.. I think it is a free float but based on circumstances, the float won't go up or down too quickly. In Argentina those circumstances were different until some time ago when the peso stablized.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                        Years ago, Sten told me here on this forum that if the dollar fell, the PhP would likely fall with it...

Wonder how he knew?

I did? I wonder if I had a reason... I have no idea now, musta lost that brain cell.

Better right than smart!

I haven't seen anything on a BoJ soft peg to the dollar. Just a coincidence me thinks.
                        Be the bid!

Comment

Hey Sten. Yeah, you did. It's been a comfort ever since. I'll have a set monthly dollar income until 62. I'm selling my house here in the US and holding the morgage. Don't want to suddenly find myself recieving useless dollars. So, I hope whatever reason you had, holds.

Comment

The 5 year average-high-low-current for the Yen is: 119.0/147.7/101.2/118.7
                            The 5 year average-high-low-current for the Peso is: 46.6/55.7/37.0/53.17
                            The 5 year average-high-low-current for the Yuan is: 8.3/8.3/8.2/8.3

Guess which one is pegged to the Dollar.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

One year numbers look much different for the Yen.

Comment

Working...
                              X