Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very simple question for (native?) English speakers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very simple question for (native?) English speakers...

If you're very frustrated and finally something comes along that ends your frustration, you could imagine that you would shout "Freedom!".

How do you put this in words properly? Screaming for freedom? Screaming in freedom? Screaming out of freedom?

I hate English prepositions...
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

I usually don't do that.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's a very poorly written question. Can you please rephrase?

The "Freedom" shout as you describe it is freedom from, i.e., freedom from worry, freedom from oppression, etc.

Comment

"Screaming out of freedom". Like "crying out of joy". That is, if freedom is a sensation, an emotion. If freedom was a concrete place, like getting out of a prison, you could consider it "screaming in freedom". "Screaming for freedom" would be closer to screaming, well, for freedom.

Out of the options I'd use "out of" myself.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

You screamed "Freedom!" Not from it. Not of it. Not out of it.

Screaming for freedom? - Implies you don't have freedom, but want it, and are therefore screaming.

Screaming in freedom? - Doesn't work at all.

Screaming out of freedom? - Doesn't work at all.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. But never mind, I decided to keep it short: http://apolyton.net/ron

Comment

Yes, it would just be "screaming freedom." No prepositions.
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Freedom fries.

Comment

Screaming in freedom? - Doesn't work at all.

Screaming out of freedom? - Doesn't work at all.
                  Yeah, they do somehow sound... wrong. "Made up".
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

screaming at freedom
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I wasn't too sure what he is asking for: the word to describe the shout, or the preposition to describe how the feeling of "Freedom" was derived.

For starters, I don't think the guy would be screaming. Shouting is a better word, unless he is mindless with rage or something.

If not, then your sentence should be along these lines: "As he plugged the coppers while making his jailbreak, he shouted out 'Freedom!' "

Comment

"Sing Out" or "Cry Out" seems like it would fit better than "Screaming." You scream when you're frightened or in pain.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Out of a sense of freedom.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

screaming from freedom
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Hmm, thanks for the info, JohnT. You leave me wondering what would make a better title: Makes you scream or Makes you shout "freedom!"...

Comment

Working...
                              X