Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twelve years

I'm out!

Out of high school, out of school, out of the system entirely!

Only to enter another one soon. And I haven't actually graduated yet. That doesn't come for another two weeks. But today was the last day of school. Indescribable elation right now. This is fantastic.

But then, I have no idea what to do with my life. Does anyone know what you're supposed to do in life? I need a plan. Well no, that sounds like it requires a little too much effort and forethought, but I at least want a vague idea of what's supposed to happen now.

Yes, I go to college - community college - and hopefully I'll transfer to a four year college after a few semesters, but what the hell am I supposed to study? My current goal in life is to save the world. And so far the only way I can see of accomplishing that goal is by studying law. You know, take down the system from the inside out. Yah!

I could do something useless like get a degree in sociology or history or something but, well, useless things rarely have any use. You can teach other people with those degrees, or have jobs that really don't have the scope I'm looking for.

So... anyone else graduating from high school or college or elementary school or something? And what do you plan to do? And what the hell is the point anyway?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Internship?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Law will ensnare you within the system... beware!!!

Congratulations... and don't worry about that "Life Plan" thingy - it's not like any of us had one.

Comment

I'm just trying to make sure that thirty years from now, I'm doing more than just posting on Poly.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Nah, there are other message boards out there. Odds are, you'll be posting on those.

Comment

There is no point. Don't worry about it.

Go for something that either interests you or will give you a decent living without having to work too hard.

Don't become a lawyer unless you want to be perceived as a moral-free moneygrubbing parasite. (I know some lawyers that I like personally but no-one ever wants to pay the bills for what the lawyers do)

What do you want to save the world from exactly anyway?

Oh, and make sure that whatever you do you are still around to post on 'Poly in thirty years time.
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

"What do you want to save the world from exactly anyway?"

Himself, probably.

Comment

Teach. Wherever. In a school, at a job, have an impact.

RAH
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm far too idealistic. I'm saving the world from its current imperfections. In fact, saving the world is a terrible term, but it sounds nice and cliche. What I want to do is restructure society. I think our current civilization is inherently flawed. But, well, I'm sure everyone thinks that. Most people probably don't view it as their responsibility to change it, however. I'm a hopeless idealist though, so I'm a little off.

This isn't supposed to be a thread about me. Other people have to be graduating, right?

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Some of us graduated a long long time ago. Full of idealism and the desire to make a difference in the world.

But looking back over a long career, I haven't changed the world. BUT I've touched/influenced many people's lives, (mostly for good). Every now and then some call to thank me or just to say they remember. The projects, the money, the career, just doesn't seem to be important anymore, but those calls are.

RAH
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"The projects, the money, the career, just doesn't seem to be important anymore, but those calls are."

... He says while still in possession of the money, the career, etc.

Comment

"I think our current civilization is inherently flawed. But, well, I'm sure everyone thinks that."

Nope, I don't. Sorry.

Comment

I made a 5-year-plan when I graduated high school, and it didn't survive the first year in college. Don't even try making a 30-year-plan -- it probably won't fare much better.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I don't even want a five year plan. I want to know what I'm going to do tomorrow. I don't have school. Past that I want to know what my summer will be like, and then at least what classes I'm going to take at college. I have no plans.

JohnT: You really think the way we do things right now is the right way? And that all we can do from this point is just improve the model we've got?

Comment

Working...
                              X