Roy Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Retires

Surprised there is no thread on this yet.

18 years...Patrick Roy was a goalie almost as long as I've been alive.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

About time.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Gee... must be nice to be young... I was getting old when he was just a rookie

It's a great loss to the NHL. It's unfortunate he had to go out as he did... lossing to Minny early in the playoffs.

He was one of the best... First round HOF material.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

He's been in my black book ever since he refused to play for Team Canada in the Olympics.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

But, damn! He was good.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            He's been in my black book ever since he refused to play for Team Canada in the Olympics.
            You won the damn gold medal last time. Quit bitching.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay

You won the damn gold medal last time. Quit bitching.
              So? This is Canada! Imagine if MJ had refused to play for the US in BBall. What would you say about him?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                Imagine if MJ had refused to play for the US in BBall. What would you say about him?
                That he was the best Basketball player of all time.

And since he brought 6 championships to my hometown... GO MJ
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  But, damn! He was good.
                  No. Damn he IS good.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

I'm not too terribly fond of his Olympics choice, either... But it's still too bad to see him go.

Through all these years, up until his last game, he was the only goalie in the league (save for maybe Brodeur) who I could definitively say could beat anyone on any given night. No matter what was going on, what the circumstances were, he would give you trouble like nobody's business.

There are many great goalies in the league, still (Belfour, Richter [is he retiring this summer?], Khabibulin, Turco), but they just don't have (at least yet) that special something that Roy had, and still has today. It's too bad that he went out like he did, but what with his arthritis and all... It was probably the right choice.

Marty B has just been upgraded to Best Active Goaltender status.
                    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Yeah, but you'd still mutter an odd 'bastard' if he refused to play for the national team. Even if they won. That's why it's...

damn! Why is that bastard so good?!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

But he sucks at golf.
                        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

He's better at golf than I am
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

There's a lot of women, and probably some cripples, who are better at golf than you are.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Nah... based on my USGA Golf Handicap, I'm better than 90% of those that play golf... But MJ is still better than I am.

And I know that all the women on the LPGA are better as well
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                              X