Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arafat's guerrillas shot 7; world silent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I also nominate GePap for the Barbarian award. This will be given annually to the poster who best justifies Barbarianism, which includes any act of expropriation without compensation by one people from another.

Hall of Fame entries already include Julius Ceasar for his conquest of Gaul, Giseric the Vandal for his sacking of Rome, Eric the Red on behalf of all Viking plunders, and Elizabeth I for sponsoring the Pirates of the Carribean.

Can GePeP be elected to the Hall of Fame? Only history will tell.
    Last edited by Ned; May 29, 2003, 17:49.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

The history of US "Imperialism" in Latin America is closely tied to the protection of US lives and property in the concerned states. The killing of any US citizen or the confiscation without compensation of a US citizen's property is an act of war. If any for a second doubt this, consider the act of piracy. Is piracy legitimate if conducted by a sovereign?

If you say yes, then I give you Jefferson's war against the Pasha of Tripoli.
      Oh what a load of BS...

EVEN YOUR OWN SCHOOL TEXTBOOKS ADMIT TO DECADES OF U.S. IMPERIALISM IN LATIN AMERICA!!!

read ANY decent history book about latin american history written by ANY U.S. author even, to realize you are totally absolutely tremendously wrong. But you most likely have read NONE, you're just spouting whatever biased idea comes to your head without even a speck of necessary historical reference to back you up.
      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Zen: Chill out and don't resort to the personal insults. Argue ideas and don't flame posters. Besides Ned is educated he just has a different take sometimes.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

meksikan peopel are scam.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen

Oh what a load of BS...

EVEN YOUR OWN SCHOOL TEXTBOOKS ADMIT TO DECADES OF U.S. IMPERIALISM IN LATIN AMERICA!!!

read ANY decent history book about latin american history written by ANY U.S. author even, to realize you are totally absolutely tremendously wrong. But you most likely have read NONE, you're just spouting whatever biased idea comes to your head without even a speck of necessary historical reference to back you up.
            Master Zen, I went to private Catholic schools until college. I attended school before the massive "revision" of history that seems to have taken place in the '70s and '80s.

The history I was taught and even remember is dramatically at odds with that being taught in school today. The histories generally agree on the basic facts. But today's histories are dramatically different in their 'opinion" content.

BTW, I do admit that even the history I was taught by the good nuns was extremely biased. For example, we studied Roman history primarily from the point of view of how each Emperor persecuted the Christians or not. I was astounded to find, after reading history by non Catholic authors, that Diocletian was considered to be a good emperor for restoring order. I was astounded because I had learned that Diocletian was "evil" for instituting the absolute worst persecutions in Roman history.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              Zen: Chill out and don't resort to the personal insults. Argue ideas and don't flame posters. Besides Ned is educated he just has a different take sometimes.
              Oerdin, Zen really doesn't bother me for some reason. I find it almost amuzing how easy it is to get him, or most of the left, to lose their cool with my meataxe, anti-left trolls.

Only Spiffor seems to keep his cool.

Comment

Gepap: A great deal of the US involvement in Latin America for the first 30 years of the 20th century was directly to support US owned businesses who were underthreat from Latin governments and/or revolutionaries.
                and what was the excuse for the 50 years before that and the 70 years since?

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

Oerdin, Zen really doesn't bother me for some reason. I find it almost amuzing how easy it is to get him, or most of the left, to lose their cool with my meataxe, anti-left trolls.

Only Spiffor seems to keep his cool.

I don't lose my cool despite it appears I do

so, now that you are admitting to trolling instead of actually making meaninful arguments, I think your debate is quite literally flushed down the toilet, gives me even less a reason for continuing it.

Comment

and what was the excuse for the 50 years before that and the 70 years since?
                    If you'd like to discuss specific actions then give a specific example. My people spend an entire quarter exploring individual actions and still only scratch the surface. Still, we can try.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                      meksikan peopel are scam.
                      salud

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

Master Zen, I went to private Catholic schools until college. I attended school before the massive "revision" of history that seems to have taken place in the '70s and '80s.

The history I was taught and even remember is dramatically at odds with that being taught in school today. The histories generally agree on the basic facts. But today's histories are dramatically different in their 'opinion" content.

BTW, I do admit that even the history I was taught by the good nuns was extremely biased. For example, we studied Roman history primarily from the point of view of how each Emperor persecuted the Christians or not. I was astounded to find, after reading history by non Catholic authors, that Diocletian was considered to be a good emperor for restoring order. I was astounded because I had learned that Diocletian was "evil" for instituting the absolute worst persecutions in Roman history.
                        Then what really surprises me is why you haven't bothered to get your facts right on US imperialism. I'd suggest you get some books on it. Believe it or not, you'll find out the US has been far less than righteous in its endevours.

But...since you're only trolling I assume that deep inside you know it already

Comment

If you'd like to discuss specific actions then give a specific example. My people spend an entire quarter exploring individual actions and still only scratch the surface. Still, we can try.

"The United States and Imperialism" by Frank Ninkovich

it's worth the read

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                            Michael the Great, the left seems consistently opposed to the United States government opposing nationalization of US companies without compensation by radical elements in Latin America. The left seems to have some ideology that US companies "exploit" (as in "steal") both the resources and the labor of any country in which its invests.
                            You mean bribing corrupt officials you helped install in the first place to give you below-market contracts for mineral rights, land, etc. isn't exploitation?

For this reason, the left almost advocates that US companies be nationalized, of course, without compensation because of this evil exploitation.
                            There should definitely be compensation, in magnitude to the theft/exploitation being carried out. Sometimes, mere nationalization of the physical assets isn't adequate compensation.

So when United States government objects to this, it is of course wrong, because such nationalization itself was correct from the left's point-of-view, and America's intervention to protect its citizens property is nothing but naked "imperialism."
                            Exactly. "Protecting citizens property" is not a valid reason to invade a country, kill civilians, destroy third-party property, depose existing sovereign governments, etc. Sue 'em, or impose trade sanctions, yes. Invasion, no.

In a nutshell, though, US companies no more exploit the resources and labor of Latin American countries than they exploit resources and labor of America.
                            US companies operating in the US are subject to Federal and state laws, the judiciary of the US and it's states, and the parties affected (citizens) are enfranchised to vote, so they have a remedy be electing legislatures and executive officials that can regulate abusive behavior and enforce those regulations. Until quite recently (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act being the main impediment), US laws did not apply to US companies' actions overseas. In many cases, they still don't, or the laws are effectively subverted by merely creating wholly owned subsidiaries chartered offshore.

FCPA isn't even a real impediment - you just can't knowingly bribe a foreign official. Nothing says you can't hire a relative of that official as a high-priced consultant to help you obtain contracts on the terms you want. Bribery is just so unsubtle and crude. Local "governmental relations" and "customs expediting" "consultants" are a much nicer way to do business in the modern era.

The Nicaraguan's remedies for dealing with United Fruit were to face the bayonets of United States Marines. If you had a problem with M. A. Hanna's mineral rights contracts in Cuba, you didn't have to deal with the US Marines, just the US supported puppet Batista (who had ten percent kickback from Hanna on the mineral rights, as did his wife) and his "police" forces, which were notorious for torture and murder. The US was instrumental in installing and/or supporting murderous butchering scum like Duvalier, Somoza, Batista, Pinochet and others. Batista was bad enough that the mainstream US press in the Eisenhower '50s even questioned why we favored such a greasy SOB.

If the principal the left advocates with respect to Latin American countries is valid, then US companies should be nationalized even in the United States, of course, without compensation.
                            The principles advocated vary, but equitable adjustment of contracts which are fraudulently entered into is a legitimate exercise of sovereignty for any new government. The only real
                            quibble is the method employed.

But this is not nothing less than extreme Marxism, is it not? This is Communism.
                            No, señor. It's just a leetle equitable adjustment because you had your hands in our cookie jar for a long time. It's nationalist, not communist. Like Molotov's song "frijolero."

So admit it, Michael the Great, you are a communist.
                            Hasta la victoria siempre, pinche gringo.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Then what really surprises me is why you haven't bothered to get your facts right on US imperialism. I'd suggest you get some books on it. Believe it or not, you'll find out the US has been far less than righteous in its endevours.

But...since you're only trolling I assume that deep inside you know it already
                              At times, I admit, I don't now the facts involving US involment in Latin America all that well. What suggest is that we discuss them here whenever they come up. I find such threads educational and very enjoyable.

And, I really appreciate your input, Master Zen.

Comment

"The United States and Imperialism" by Frank Ninkovich

it's worth the read
                                You made an accussation and I asked you for specific example. Do you think you could choice an example out of your book and post it here?

Comment

Working...
                                X