Any Windows 98 Emulators out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Windows 98 Emulators out there?

Are there any windows 98 emulators that wont screw up my comp? I recently got a game and it wont work on my windows XP. I have heard emulators and duel operating systems can screw up a computer and cause things to go slow. Maby I should say to hell with the game and not screw up mu comp.?.?.

Right-click on the .exe file you want to run, click Properties > Compatibility and set the Compatibility Mode to Win98.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
      Right-click on the .exe file you want to run, click Properties > Compatibility and set the Compatibility Mode to Win98.
      I assumed he'd tried that before posting...

Comment

yea I alredy tried that a million times it never worked. oh well im just screwed.

Comment

Try getting Knoppix and running the game inside Wine....
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I have a CD that has Win98 SE on it.

Install that on your computer and it should run just like Win98 runs.

Comment

I have dual OS on my computer, which works fine... the problem is:

I don't want to restart my computer, everytime I want to play some classic game... would be better to be able to start some emulator, to be able to run those classic games, without the need to restart...
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I've never had any problems running old games or any other programs on XP. Any issues that do arise are solved by aforementioned procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  I've never had any problems running old games or any other programs on XP. Any issues that do arise are solved by aforementioned procedure.
                  Locutus how adout DOS programs? Have you tried running any DOS programs on WinXP.
                  I still stick to Win98 because I want to be able to run all the progs and games that I have (even the DOS ones).
                  Quendelie axan!

Comment

Yup, works fine for me. I've heard the complaints others have with WinXP and old software, but never had anything like it myself. Civ1, Colonization, Mortal Combat 3/4, BC3k, Tomb Raider 1, etc -- there's a whole range of games I've played ranging in release date from 1990 to 2003 and never had a single problem with any of them (no XP-related problems anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                      I have dual OS on my computer, which works fine... the problem is:

I don't want to restart my computer, everytime I want to play some classic game... would be better to be able to start some emulator, to be able to run those classic games, without the need to restart...
                      Notice that i never tried them, so maybe their performance is pathetic, but what about using a VM PC software such as VMWare or the OpenSource alternative Bochs? (Plex86 is said to be faster but less portable).

You'll just have to install Win98 on a image file and when you need to use it you'll start the VM from your current OS.
                      "If it works, it's obsolete."
                      -- Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo Scotto
                        You'll just have to install Win98 on a image file and when you need to use it you'll start the VM from your current OS.
                        That would be great, though I have never found such thing yet...
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The quickest and easiest way is to duel boot. A really great way is to just buy/find an older computer, install 98 on it and use that as your old games computer.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                            That would be great, though I have never found such thing yet...
                            Find them is easy:

Bochs: http://bochs.sf.net
                            VMWare: http://www.vmware.com
                            Plex86: http://www.plex86.org

Make them work...
                            well, that's another story
                            "If it works, it's obsolete."
                            -- Marshall McLuhan

Comment

There are many games that are not compatible, as I know from experience:

Ultima 7 series

SSG's Warlords II Deluxe

and some others. Basically any game that came with its own funky custom memory manager like Ultima 7s 'Voodoo'.

Ultima 7 can be made to run in Win98

Warlords and other games requiring funky expanded memory boot disks can sometimes be made to run with MoSlo.

But WinXP is not 'true' dos anymore, even in emulation.

Solution:

System Commander: reboot into 'TrueDOS' mode. $75.

Partition Magic: Make a DOS 6 partition, and somehow find dos mouse and sound drivers. You can run really old games this way, but again $$+having to reboot.
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                              X