No announcement yet.

Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah then you see why I need to leave. My complaints against our College of Computing could probably fill a book.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
      -The key word in your sentence is should. Unfortunately, only 3-4 of our Comp Sci classes are really based on this sort of thing, and the last 1-2 are not mandatory (vs. 7-8 mandatory programming ones).
      Ah, that's a poor way of teaching Computer Science. Granted, many courses will still involve programming, but that shouldn't be the main thrust.

Originally posted by Victor Galis
      As far as doing, I'm not really sure, hence my current crisis. And the real question is what do I like to do that people will pay me to do. I can like playing Civ all I want, no one will pay me to do that. I'm thinking there's some carrer involving travelling a lot related in some way to the study of international relations that would appeal to me. I also wouldn't really mind being a college professor, but I'm not sure I'd like it enough to put in the ammount of work required to get there.
      Okay, can't help you until you figured out the answer to this question. Other than playing computer games, what other hobbies or interests do you have? Do you like stargazing, for example, or collecting interesting rocks?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Okay, can't help you until you figured out the answer to this question. Other than playing computer games, what other hobbies or interests do you have? Do you like stargazing, for example, or collecting interesting rocks?
        I like to travel and ski, but those are more seasonal hobbies. I also apparently like to argue on online message boards. Were I not so cynical, I might be inclined to think I could seek a career in politics in some way in this country.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Keep thinking. Other than politics, none of these are good choices. And you aren't cut out to be a politician.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
          X