US $350 Billion tax cut is likely $800 Billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US $350 Billion tax cut is likely $800 Billion

"'The lunatics are now in charge of the asylum.' So wrote the normally staid Financial Times, traditionally the voice of solid British business opinion, when surveying last week's tax bill. Indeed, the legislation is doubly absurd: the gimmicks used to make an $800-billion-plus tax cut carry an official price tag of only $320 billion are a joke, yet the cost without the gimmicks is so large that the nation can't possibly afford it while keeping its other promises.

"But then maybe that's the point. The Financial Times suggests that 'more extreme Republicans' actually want a fiscal train wreck: 'Proposing to slash federal spending, particularly on social programs, is a tricky electoral proposition, but a fiscal crisis offers the
    tantalizing prospect of forcing such cuts through the back door.'

"Good for The Financial Times. It seems that stating the obvious has now, finally, become respectable.

"Yet by pushing through another huge tax cut in the face of record deficits, the administration clearly demonstrates either that it is completely feckless, or that it actually wants a fiscal crisis. (Or maybe both.)

"Here's one way to look at the situation: Although you wouldn't know it from the rhetoric, federal taxes are already historically low as a share of G.D.P. Once the new round of cuts takes effect, federal taxes will be lower than their average during the Eisenhower administration. How, then, can the government pay for Medicare and Medicaid — which didn't exist in the 1950's — and Social Security, which will become far more expensive as the population ages? (Defense spending has fallen compared with the economy, but not that much, and it's on the rise again.)

"The answer is that it can't. The government can borrow to make up the difference as long as investors remain in denial, unable to believe that the world's only superpower is turning into a banana republic. But at some point bond markets will balk — they won't lend money to a government, even that of the United States, if that government's debt is growing faster than its revenues and there is no plausible story about how the budget will eventually come under control."

More here:

The deal with this is, the $350 billion was based on the expiration dates on the provisions, but nobody believes that repealing it will be politically possible, unless more tax cuts are enacted in its stead. This is not a happy situation. Likely the only way to remove Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc. is to crash them in a period of financial ruin; if a political group wants to get rid of those programs, these economic moves (an avowed weak-dollar policy, massive tax cuts in time of debt, etc.) make more sense. Both the weak-dollar policy and the tax cuts in deep debt, of course, have never happened before in the US.

Let me be the first...

dl
    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

let me join you.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

"'The lunatics are now in charge of the asylum.'
        The British are quite good at diagnostics.

Now that I think about it, they could be right : hysteria, delirium, compulsive lies, obsessive repetitions are indications that back this diagnosis.
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          let me join you.
          May I have this dance, Az?
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

w00t!
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

he posted a news link guys! Give him a chance!

Meh...can't beat 'em, Join 'em

I liked the article though
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

The article was fine. The fact that a guy with a post count of 16 came here... IS NOT.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

However, military spending is rising by several dozen billion IIRC.

This lower spending is going to come from somewhere, and that is the health insurance, which will be increased to a band where practically no-one will qualify (compared to today), and of course the education system suffer. All very well for those that are making money, but what about the poor? What about those who need help?
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Elijah: in the US, the education system will suffer much less, because it's a State, not a federal affair.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Elijah: in the US, the education system will suffer much less, because it's a State, not a federal affair.

You are aware that the Dept. of Education is a Federal department, yes?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I always thought that school funding, and University funding was by states.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I always thought that school funding, and University funding was by states.
                          Usually ongoing funding comes from the local level. Federal money is used for grants for capital improvements in most cases or to provide incentive for additional education or training of teachers. Some special programs like Head Start and Breakfast programs receive a large share of their budgets from the federal level.
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Comment

(Defense spending has fallen compared with the economy, but not that much, and it's on the rise again.)

Well, this is a little glib. Defense spending has fallen precipitously compared to the economy versus Eisenhower's administration. By about 5 to 9 percentage points. This slack has been taken up by spending on Medicaid and Medicare. Our basic structure of government hasn't changed in the post war era besides those elements.
                              Last edited by DanS; May 27, 2003, 10:57.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X