Ice skating is not a sport, it's an art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice skating is not a sport, it's an art

I think ice skating is an art. In sports, you have concrete scoring. In ice skating, judges judge who is the best. The criteria for judging ice skating is who did the best tricks and who looked the best, but in sports the objects is to win on scoring. Ice skating is also considered a form of expression. This is art. And in ice skating, if you have better style you'll get a better score. In sports style doesn't matter at all.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

All sports have officials either judging the sport or monitoring that the rules are followed, which is often a judgement call. Even ones with 'concrete scoring' as you put it.

Comment

I require a vomit smilie.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Yes, but in ice skating whether you win or lose is completely based on judging. The judge decides who wins and who loses. Judges (refs) in other sports just call things just when someone isn't playing by the rules, that's their purpose.
        "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Yup. Ice skating is a performance art.

But more importantly, Jamie Sale is hot. (She's the Canadian who got cheated out of the medal by the French judge.)
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Yes it's art not less than sport. In skating your purpose is to be better, and not faster, but this sportic part is phisical strength of skaters
            money sqrt evil;
            My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

It's not an art! It's dead conservative, innovation is punished... Totally against the Heideggerian ideal.
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

It's a symptom of the evil capitalist oppressors!
                Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

No seriously. Any artform that has not progressed aesthetically in the last century or so can't possibly be considered art- the entire creative meaning of every performance is copied wholesale from someone else. Now, if Ice Skating had taken into account the advances of modern dance since the 1920s and judged entrants on artistic merit rather than kitch-value "grace", then yeah, possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
                    Now, if Ice Skating had taken into account the advances of modern dance since the 1920s and judged entrants on artistic merit rather than kitch-value "grace", then yeah, possibly.
                    What is kitsch?
                    Blah

Comment

Kitsch? Means vaguely "over-the-top, vulgar, sentimental bad taste". Which ice-skating definately is in its professional form (Disney on Ice etc.) and increasingly is in the competetive form as well.

Although these days Kitsch is a positively loaded word. I don't mean Kitsch as in "knowingly ironic bad taste", I mean it in its original form.

Comment

Yeah, but AFAIK there is no general definition of what is seen as "bad taste" exactly. Thats highly subjective.
                        Blah

Comment

Any sport that can't be measured in number of goals, meters or seconds sucks.
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                            Yeah, but AFAIK there is no general definition of what is seen as "bad taste" exactly. Thats highly subjective.
                            As far as I'm concerned there are readily-measurable qualities of aesthetics and artistic intent, without which we humans wouldn't agree on the many things that we agree on.

Figure-skating in its current form is one-dimensional and does not carry any underlying or aesthetic meaning that hasn't already been explored. Ergo it's not art.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
                              As far as I'm concerned there are readily-measurable qualities of aesthetics and artistic intent, without which we humans wouldn't agree on the many things that we agree on.
                              Which are those qualities? AFAIK in nearly every field of art (music, movies, painting etc....) people have different opinions about what is good or bad taste, what is aesthetic or not.
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X