Memorial Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day

It's past midnight and is now Memorial Day on the East Coast. Let us remember all those soldiers who died for our country.

"I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

In Loving Memory
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Let's also remember that Memorial Day began as Decoration Day -- a day when Northerners decorated the graves of Confederate soldiers buried in the North, and Southerners did the same for Union soldiers buried in the South. The original meaning of Memorial day was thus not the nationalistic mourning of one's own dead, but an acknowledgement of the universal suffering of all soldiers in war, and of their universal dignity.

Coming in November: "It's Armistice Day, not Veterans Day, dammit!"
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Just for paiktis: Ataturk's words commemorating the fallen ANZAC soldiers at Gallipoli; they happen to perfectly embody the spirit of Decoration Day.

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us. Where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... You mothers', who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away the tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace after having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The price of freedom is never free. Here's to those who paid the ultimate price.
              Attached Files

Comment

To paiktis or anybody else that want's to start a flame war in this thread. Don't even think about it...

I've deleted a few posts already, and I do not want to have to delete anymore. Instead, I'll delete posters!
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

the sky is crying

Comment

Does the tradition of remembering former enemy soldiers continue, or has the memorial day turned into a day where only American soldiers are remembered ?

(I ask this because Shi's post and Rufus' seem to be talk about something completely different)
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

May God bless them. They have my thanks for this life lived in Freedom.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

"Does the tradition of remembering former enemy soldiers continue, or has the memorial day turned into a day where only American soldiers are remembered ?"

I think the Civil War was a special case, because will since it was a civil war both sides were Americans. Decoration Day seems alot more feasible back then as many familes had ties that reached across the Mason-Dixon line. Now Memorial Day honors US soldiers who have died.
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Kropotkin, and to anybody else that want's to turn this into a flame war... take your trolling somewhere else.

There are many other threads where you can go bash America, and Americans... Don't post your trolls here.

LAST WARNING
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Trolling? So I'm not entitled to a opinion? It was not america-bashing per se, just a modest opinion about the concept of for example "memorial day" and any other day like it.

Comment

Yes you are entitled to an opinion... and whether it was your intent to start a flame war or not... I DON' T CARE...
                              Because I'm NOT GOING TO LET YOU DO SO.

So if you have nothing nice to stay... go away.
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                              X