Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should third world ex-dictatorships have their debts forgiven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should third world ex-dictatorships have their debts forgiven?

What do you guys think about the collection of debt in third world countries, which used to by a dictator, but have since lost their dictatorship? I think in such cases we should not continue collecting on their debts for loans taken out by dictators. Dictators, IMO, are not legitmate representatives of their people and in fact often through their regimes plunder their own country. It is not right to hold their people accountable for what the dictators do. Furthermore, if third world countries have their debt removed upon becoming a democracy, they will be in a better economic situation, and economic stability aids political stability, helping to ensure the safety of the new democracy.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Removing the debt is not fair on the lenders - If you lend out your money to a Man who says he needs to feed his family but wastes it on drink you've still lost that money and would want it back.

What would be more fair would to remove all Interest associated with the loan and allow them to pay it back on terms which would suit them better.
    Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by Rothy
      Removing the debt is not fair on the lenders
      Maybe lenders would stop lending to dictatorships.
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

There is always the situation where money is borrowed on false promises. Remember a Dictator is often voted into power before turning his country into a dictatorship, In many cases the money is borrowed before the political freedoms of the citizens are removed.

I do agree however, that in the case of Companies purposefully trading with dictatorships (like France) that there should not be protection to the companies/countries involved.
        Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by Rothy
          Companies purposefully trading with dictatorships (like France) that there should not be protection to the companies/countries involved.
          What an interesting example

You've pointed out yet another thing France and the US have in common
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Best Example there is , since it's a well known fact France were Iraq's (previous) best trading partner.
            Up The Millers

Comment

Best Example there is , since it's a well known fact France were Iraq's (previous) best trading partner.
              Better than Syria? I take it you don't support the erasing of Iraq's debt to Russia?

Even though Zaire/Congo has had a change of government, it's expected to keep paying for the excesses of the Mobutu regime, when the country is falling apart. Debt cancellation is a way to help them get back on their feet.

Comment

What they should do is remove third world debt....wipe the slate clean. It sounds drastic, but the Third World will stay in debt indefinetely (but maybe this is what some countries want? )

I propose that when countries wipe the slate clean, they instead propose different legislation. For example:

Let's say Zimbabwe has a huge debt to the United States. The US wipes out the debt by Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe in return signs legislation where they only import goods from the US for a certain amount of time. That way, Zimbabwe can develop their country with US goods, and the United States get's a buyer for their goods.

Everyone is happy. US gets money, Zimbabwe develops their economy resulting in more money being flowed into the US exclusively.
                Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I wonder why Russia didn't repudiate USSR's debts? It's a completely new country...
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I you lend money to some third-world scumbag, not only do you richly deserve to lose all of it, you should be liable as an accessory for crimes committed by the scumbag's government.
                    "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

How about everyone on the London money markets that lent to Vneshtorgbank in the late eighties-early nineties? The money was used to suppress freedom movements all over CEE...
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I'm opposed to cancelling any of this debt. As has been pointed out, it's unfair to the lenders, regardless of the supposed (il)legitimacy of the government in power at the time.
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                          I'm opposed to cancelling any of this debt. As has been pointed out, it's unfair to the lenders, regardless of the supposed (il)legitimacy of the government in power at the time.
                          You are worried about unfairness to the rich lenders? What about the impoverished third world people who suffered under the dictatorships? They never had a choice whether or not to enter into the debt at all.

Comment

You are worried about unfairness to the rich lenders?
                            What does their economic status have to do with anything? If they lent money, they should get it back.

What about the impoverished third world people who suffered under the dictatorships? They never had a choice whether or not to enter into the debt at all.
                            That's funny. If I made that argument about taxes, you'd laugh.

And of course, many of these people don't even support individual freedom and capitalism and the like - take the people in Iraq, for example. I read in the NYT today that the US was disbanding the Iraqi armed forces, yet the former Iraqi soldiers threatened to fight if they didn't keep receiving paychecks. Duh, how stupid are these people?

Or, say, Nigeria. Do you really think that, in the absence of debt, Nigeria would develop a truly free society? Please
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

"And of course, many of these people don't even support individual freedom and capitalism and the like - take the people in Iraq, for example."

But if there rights are indeed naturally existant, do their political views really change that? Do you have a right to go rob Che because he wants to take away your freedom? The fact is I don't see how you are justifying making the people pay a debt they never agreed to.

Comment

Working...
                              X