Unbiased NYT Reporter gives commencement speach, booed off stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbiased NYT Reporter gives commencement speach, booed off stage

Chris Hedges, NY Times reporter, gave a commencement speech at Rockford College. His mike was unplugged at one point. He was later booed off the stage.

You be the judge, was this speech unbiased?

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Now he knows how Tony Blair feels at public speaking sessions.

EDIT: Biased or not, it certainly was inflamatory. This guy needs an education in diplomacy if he ever wants to make friends and influence people.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
      Now he knows how Tony Blair feels at public speaking sessions.

EDIT: Biased or not, it certainly was inflamatory. This guy needs an education in diplomacy if he ever wants to make friends and influence people.
      So, Blair has some problems in being heard above a disapproving audience?

I thought the Brits were polite?
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I am curious as to why he chose him as a commencement speaker. I know I would certainly be upset if I got someone like that as mine.
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

And "unbiased speech" = a lecture. All speeches are biased, if bias is the word you want to use to descirbe having an opinion.

The speech in inflammatorey, and not the sort of thing to give at a commencement anyway. if the guy wanted to make a point, thn he could have done it ni much better ways.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

"We worship death"

What a jackass!

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The real question is what leftist idiot in the school system picked their fellow leftist idiot to make this speech?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The problem with the speech is not that the man is anti-war, it is that he gave an overly politiczed and obviosuly inflammatory speech at a commencement. Going in he knew what he would say would be inlfammatory, whether to a minority or majority of students, and that is the wrong thing to do since your speech is for the benefit of ALL students there, and their families.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Actually, Shi, I thought that all NY Times reporters were unbiased. Maybe the folks at Rockford thought that Hedges was going to speak in a more "balanced" fashion on his war experiences.

His speech does get very good towards the end when he cuts out the "Empire" bit and focuses in on the "comradship" that war creates. In a recent story on the civil war, one historian noted that the Civil War forged a nation out of a group of states because of this shared "comradship." The Civil War was transformative.

WWII was equally transformative. It brought the nation together as it had never been before, in one common purpose. It energized the US and made us into a great nation.

In some sense, we repeatedly get into wars because of WWII. We somewhat need wars to bring the nation together and to reaffirm our values. The war in Iraq was not so much about WoMD, or about liberating the Iraqi people, it was about our need to actively defeat dictators and liberate peoples, a mini-reinactment of WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

So, Blair has some problems in being heard above a disapproving audience?

I thought the Brits were polite?
                    It's the Parliament lower house. Seeing a bunch of supposed leaders behave like a bunch of schoolkids means they get heckled, jeered at and in Tony's case, the slow hand clap.

We Brits are not polite with each other. You must be mistaking us with the Japanese.

I think this guy was out to create the biggest publicity splash he could.
                    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

The problem with the speech is not that the man is anti-war, it is that he gave an overly politiczed and obviosuly inflammatory speech at a commencement.

Very true. I wonder what kind of moron, thought a NY Times reporter who they knew had a certain point of view would be a good commencement speaker? Come on! It may be one thing to invite a Congressman with the same POV, because he'd be more diplomatic about it (he wants to get elected, a cynic might say).
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The real question is what leftist idiot in the school system picked their fellow leftist idiot to make this speech?
                        I don;t know, but possibly related to the rightwing idiot who picked Bush to give the commencement speech at the United States Coast Guard Academy?

College commencement speeches are often used for political purposes... Nothing new here.
                        Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

But they shouldn't be... it's disrespectful to those on the other side of the aisle, whatever their beliefs are.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

True. The speech should be about advice for the graduating class, right?
                            Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

not appropriate for commencement, but otherwise an awesome speech
                              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                              X