No announcement yet.

Indonesia: whose side are you on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope they all kill eachother. I don't have much sympathy for the Indonesian government (for the reasons named by che and Ramo, among others), but the rebels in Aceh seem to be a bit too islamic to sympathize with. The Papua's in Irian Jaya and the Moluccans on the other hand have my support in getting independence, even though the day that'll happen is the day that Indonesia is no more.

Comment

Indonesia's not worth attacking. It's a failed state in its death throes. No-one is in charge. Megawati would be incapable of making a decision if her life depended on it; even if she had any willpower, 55% of the MPR (Parliament) is controlled by Muslim parties. Even though they can't agree among themselves enough to get a Muslim-party president, they'd make her life hell.

The biggest problem is if the most-failed regions (Kalimantan) or the most-Muslim regions (West Sumatra, Aceh) become havens for the Jemaah Islamiahs and Hizballahs of this world. But we'll just have to deal with that when it happens. Shoring up that joke of a government won't prevent it.
      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

i'm on the side that kills more muslims.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Re: Indonesia: whose side are you on?

Originally posted by VetLegion
          Indonesia attacked the region of Aceh on Sumatra just a day ago.

The movement for freedom of Achen is fighting for independant muslim state. Sharia law and all.

Indonesia itself is more secular. Also, there is plenty of oil in the area.

This is interesting because Indonesia last year gave independance to East Timor, which also has some oil reserves, and is mostly christian (former Portugese colony)

So, whose side are you on? The secular government or is independance something even muslim hardliners are entitled to?

Who do you think will win?
          Indonesia.

It has a damn powerful military and the GAM stands no chance.

As one Indonesian Commander giving an order said "Exterminate all of the rebels".
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Re: Re: Indonesia: whose side are you on?

Originally posted by Fez

Indonesia.

It has a damn powerful military and the GAM stands no chance.

As one Indonesian Commander giving an order said "Exterminate all of the rebels".
            They tried to do the same in East Timor. Twenty-four years later, they'd killed a third of the population and the Fretilin were still there and still fighting. What makes you think things are going to be different here?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Indonesia: whose side are you on?

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

They tried to do the same in East Timor. Twenty-four years later, they'd killed a third of the population and the Fretilin were still there and still fighting. What makes you think things are going to be different here?
              Talk about bad! Why didn't they exterminate the rest of the population?

Look I am just kidding.

Indonesia messed up there and just wasn't prepared... now I think they are.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Working...
              X