X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Cow Disease Confirmed in Alberta

Mad cow disease reported in Canada
    U.S. temporarily bans Canadian beef
    Tuesday, May 20, 2003 Posted: 8:35 PM EDT (0035 GMT)

EDMONTON, Canada (CNN) -- Canadian agriculture officials said Tuesday a cow slaughtered in Alberta in January tested positive for mad cow disease. It is the country's first case in 10 years.

The 8-year-old cow was tested and killed in January after showing signs of illness, Canadian agriculture officials said. Tests at a laboratory in the United Kingdom on Tuesday confirmed signs of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow disease. Samples from the cow tested positive for BSE last week, officials said. Canadian officials sent samples to the United Kingdom to confirm the test.

Health officials said they think they have limited the spread of the disease. The meat from the cow was declared unfit for consumption, was kept from other meat bound for packing plants and stores, and the rendered byproduct was not mixed with byproduct from other cows, Canadian officials said.

As a precautionary measure, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said it is temporarily banning Canadian beef. Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman said the case appears isolated and that the risk to human health and of animal transmission is likely very low.

Veneman said she sent a technical team to Canada to investigate.

The cow attracted attention at the slaughterhouse because it looked ill, said Debbie Barr, a veterinarian with Canada's food inspection agency. The animal was killed, declared unfit for consumption and samples were taken for testing, she said.

At a press conference in Edmonton, health officials said tests were delayed because the cow, having been killed and its flesh kept from either the human or animal food chain, was not a priority.

The cow's herd has been quarantined and health officials said they are investigating the cow's history. Barr said the cow has spent the last three years on a farm in northern Alberta, a western Canadian province. Disease control measures have been put in place, according to Canadian health authorities.

BSE is a progressive, fatal disease of the nervous system of cattle.

Canada's first case of mad cow disease appeared in 1993, in a beef cow imported from Britain in 1987. The animal carcass and the herd that cow came from were destroyed and additional measures were taken immediately by the federal government to deal with any risk that Canadian cattle might have been affected.

Alberta is home to 42 percent of Canada's 13.7 million cattle. Canada exports beef to the United States, Mexico, Japan and South Korea.
    Bad news for the province, Alberta beef kicks ass. Good thing it appears to be an isolated case...

How did it get there?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

The answer in the past has almost always been 'the feed'.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

*Nelson laugh*

Ha ha! You have mad cow disease!
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Prions can last for a staggeringly long time, even in the soil or on grasses.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Proximity to Edmonton is surely to blame. It's enough to drive anyone mad.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

As a precautionary measure, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said it is temporarily banning Canadian beef.
            Ha ha! Your beef got banned!
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Proximity to Edmonton is surely to blame. It's enough to drive anyone mad.
              Booooooo!
              "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
              "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
              "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

tragedy has struck american soil!

one cannot be certain, but it is most likely a bloody liberal bleeding-heart anti-american vegan terrorist bent on destroying our american way of life--that of meat, meat, and more meat!

raise the terror alert level to red! for that, boys, is how meat should be eaten!
                B♭3

Comment

Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed in Alberta

Originally posted by Asher

Bad news for the province, Alberta beef kicks ass. Good thing it appears to be an isolated case...

How did it get there?
                  Chretien of course.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

If you remove brains and spinal material form the food chain it you get rid of it. It took us years to get that simple fact into our tiny little brains.
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Too much prion activity already?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

bleh is this something to get all excited about.. happens all the time in Europe

cows, chikkens, pigs you name it... Mainly the fact that these animals are treated like dirt, and have no worthy existence annoys me... The diseases are simply a direct consequence of the way they treat animals... that is, not very healthy of course..
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

So, You canadians too fell your herbivores with brains ?
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Hey, you popped your cherry! Well done.

If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed in Alberta

Originally posted by Asher

How did it get there?

Same way as always, shoddy farming practices.

This is why I'm a no good filthy tree-hugging vegetarian.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X