Why do Asians look Asian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin

What does that say about us as a society that we have taught EVERYBODY (black, white, asian, hispanic, or other wise) that the Northern European idea of beauty is the absolute unquestionable best which every man, woman, and child must conform to or they risk having a low self image? I think it's kind of sad. ...
    ... Also notice that blond hair dye and blue eye contacts far out sell all others.

Girls get this crap shoved down their throats from the time they're old enough to watch TV.

One thing about eye surgery: the lack of an epicanthic fold isn't necessarily seen as a "Caucasian" trait in Asia. But to all other forms of racist image promotion.

Incidentally I've read somewhere that "averageness" is the best judge of beauty - i.e. nothing too big, or too small. If so, shouldn't Hispanicness (or something near) be the best benchmark of beauty? Is this why Miss World often comes from India/South America?
    Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

I don't think it is deliberately racist promotion but I do think we as a society have built up an idea of what is "the most beautiful", a beauty ideal if you will, which isn't exactly very multicultural.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

When I was in college I took an Asian-American Gender relations class where the professor (she was Japanese-American) had some really interesting satistics about the sort of things you just spoke off. Seriously, 20% of Asain-Americans under 35 in California has had plastic surgery proformed on their eyes. What's more is the number gets higher and higher the younger the people are.

What does that say about us as a society that we have taught EVERYBODY (black, white, asian, hispanic, or other wise) that the Northern European idea of beauty is the absolute unquestionable best which every man, woman, and child must conform to or they risk having a low self image? I think it's kind of sad.
        It says that you're very persuasive.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

UR: they can, if you harm the competition. ( Other animals. )
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
            UR: they can, if you harm the competition. ( Other animals. )
            I think those are called food sources
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Speer: Pick up any girl's magazine and you will find you are wrong. Also notice that blond hair dye and blue eye contacts far out sell all others.

Girls get this crap shoved down their throats from the time they're old enough to watch TV.

very interesting thread.

Damnation! I just checked, i signed up for the archeology course instead of the anthropology course...grr...
              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Kramerman
                Damnation! I just checked, i signed up for the archeology course instead of the anthropology course...grr...
                Archeology is interesting too.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Wolf meat.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                  X