Classical piano music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical piano music

I reckon we have lots of experts here. Can you recommend me classical piano music? Sorry I don't know how to narrow down, but lately I have found myself listening few great songs and somehow I find myself crying like a little baby listening to these. I don't know why, but I do. I'm a guy who never cries, so I find this feeling pretty good. So can you recommend me any nice songs? Make me cry!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Oh, and I like those sad themes. You know the ones that makes your heart ache and close your eyes.. I want those.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is a must for you, then. In fact, I'd recommend starting with the Beethoven sonatas, especially Moonlight, Waldstein and Pathetique.

Chopin is your man for the really emotional Romantic era stuff, especially his etudes. Brahms should also be high on your list, including his ever-popular Waltz no. 15 in A, the Hungarian dances (careful, most sets are orchestrated these days), and Op. 116, 117, 118 and 119. You can get the complete Brahms solo piano works in a complete set featuring Julius Katchen, and it is superb.

You can also find Bach's keyboard works on piano, and the Glen Gould edition really can't be beat.

If you're not opposed to concertos, (piano+orchestra), Beethoven's Emperor concerto is wonderful, and Brahms's 2nd Piano Concert in D is perhaps the greatest ever written for the genre. Brahms also has beautiful works for piano and chamber ensemble, such as the Piano Quartets and the magnificent Piano Quintet in F minor.

Mozart's piano works are lovely, but they don't really stir much passion, IMO. Anna Magdalena's Notebook is the standard here.

After that, I'd check out some Debussy, Ravel and Rakhmaninov for the late 19th/early 20th century examples.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Thanks a lot Boris! I'll definitely check these out..
        In da butt.

Comment

I dont know if u'll like them but

Adante favori
          Fur Elise
          Jesus bleibet meine Freude
          Moonlight Sonanata 3rd mov.
          liebestraum

are the piano ones i like.
          :-p

Comment

For something completely different.

Bartok's 3 piano concertos are brilliant.

Bach played on the piano is also rewarding. The Canadian pianist Angela Hewitt has recently made some wonderful recordings of his keyboard music.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
              Jesus bleibet meine Freude
              Otherwise known as Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring." You have a piano version? It was written as a chorale...interesting! The usual keyboard transcription is for organ.

liebestraum
              As opposed to Lebensraum. Not to be confused.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I like also Frantz Liszt, particularly the Preludes and the Hungarian Rhapsodies, both of easy access.
                Statistical anomaly.
                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Otherwise known as Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring." You have a piano version? It was written as a chorale...interesting! The usual keyboard transcription is for organ.
                  I have piano as well as various other intrsument ver.

Comment

June is a particular favorite of mine

and the last nice peace I played (played it 5 years ago)_

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                      You can also find Bach's keyboard works on piano, and the Glen Gould edition really can't be beat.
                      Yes, his versions of Goldberg's Variation are great. If you go to a place that lets you listen to CDs, try to listen to the 50s version (57?) and the 80s version (83?).

The 80s version has a slower tempo. Some like the faster pace, others the slower one.

You'll recognise the music. Bits of it have been in lots of movies.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        June is a particular favorite of mine

and the last nice peace I played (played it 5 years ago)_

Jon Miller
                        tchaikovsky

my favorite is october

Comment

You could always check out the evilest composition ever (aka Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D).
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

St. Leo, what's so evil with Pachelbels Canon? It's not the worst composition ever, it's not the most difficult, it's not the most ruined by stupid musicians ...
                            Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Toccatta's and Fugues are awful on the piano especially Bach peices... leaving to the organ
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X