Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people buy works of art for £50m when people are dying in the world...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These pieces of art should be the property of the people because they are part of world heritage, and thus, shouldn't have a value

Good one!

Everything has a value.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This whole thread goes against my fundamental beliefs of capitalism. Thus, I have nothing to say except:

Commies!!!
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        These pieces of art should be the property of the people because they are part of world heritage, and thus, shouldn't have a value

Good one!

Everything has a value.
        Seeing things as having pure 'value' is such a one-dimensional analysis little Imran
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

So be it... you can blind yourself to it, but every object has its price .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Why do people work at all?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
              True. I agree with that, although without forcing wealth distribution, I don't see that happening. I'm all for a supertax, maybe 70%, for high income earners, but I really don't like the idea of wealth tax. Money should only be taxed once, however highly it is, IMHO.
              70%?? Good lord, that's pushing it. I don't know if I'd go that high...700,000 for every Million?
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Very true, although some things have such a high price, that for all intents and purposes, they might as well be priceless. Like the Moon for instance, or the Sun.
                Smile
                For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Orange: Only for a supertax. ie one for people who earn more than, say, 5 Million per year. They pay 40% (being higher rate) up to 5 Million, and 70% of anything on top of that.

Although saying that, almsot everyone that rich uses tax havens
                  Smile

Comment

blah, taxs aren't the solution... Yeah, like the government is really going to feed starving ppl.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

ok ok...i get it now. Still, I'd want it to be much further along than that. Maybe a supertax on everything over 100 million a year before you get into the 70% range
                      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

rich-artsy-fartsy-lefties...

I seriously wonder where people get these kinds of ignorant ideas... I'll try to point out a few of your mistakes Bodds...

1. All art lovers aren't lefties.
                        2. All lefties aren't art lovers
                        3. There are many more wasteful aspects of capitalism than buying art
                        4. buying art in some western country has relatively nothing to do with the causes of disease in Africa
                        5. I doubt you contribute more to humane causes than many rich people
                        6. you don't even advocate socially humane political agendas anyways
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Japher: Very true, I just think that would fund our hospitals/schools and universities so that they are very good.

Orange: I'd like you to find many people who earn over 100 Million a year who have their money taxable. Also, there would be so few of them, that it would provide almost no money. Indeed, I don't think there is anyone in Britain who earns over 100 Million a year.
                          Smile

Comment

Working...
                          X