How's your fleet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your fleet?

I was amazed recently to learn that the US fleet is down to 270 ships, (iirc) from the 600 last time I checked. I believe it still has 10 or more super carriers, so that's good.

I learned the other day that the US built 120 carriers of different types during WW2.

Anyway, how is your country's navy doing, any idea?

Who is #2 these days? GB or Russia?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Russia.

I hear the Egyptian navy rules the waves these days.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well ours is being reduced I think we have 35-40 destroyers/frigates 3 mini carriers 1 helicopter carrier.

I think we have an assault ship though im not sure.

there are a number subs.

there are quite a few support ships and minesweepers.

I don't know about the ruskies, I assume they have more but not as good
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Those two numbers may be refering to different status of ships. The 600 might have refered to ships overal and the 270 number might just be active ships.

There are a number of ships the US has that are mothballed at the moment.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

It sucks, it completely and utterly sucks. a total of 5% of our military budget goes to the navy.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
            It sucks, it completely and utterly sucks. a total of 5% of our military budget goes to the navy.
            Understandable really, last time I looked the palestinians didn't have any carriers
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Prolly' India is #2?
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Stinger: the palestinians never were the existential threat to Israel ( 'cept the very beginning )
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Understandable really, last time I looked the palestinians didn't have any carriers

Have you forgotten about the Israeli plans to conquer Italy already?
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

We're down to 270 ships? Excellent! Time to take that number down even lower - a lot lower.
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                      We're down to 270 ships? Excellent! Time to take that number down even lower - a lot lower.
                      We're a coastal country. We need that fleet to deal with Tunisian pirates. Reduce the AF and Army first.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                        Those two numbers may be refering to different status of ships. The 600 might have refered to ships overal and the 270 number might just be active ships.

There are a number of ships the US has that are mothballed at the moment.
                        We never got to 600. That was the Reagan goal, but we stalled and backslid after about 570. The ships are the same kind. I wasn't aware that we were at 270. That may be a projection of where we are headed giving the low acquisition pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain
                          Prolly' India is #2?
                          Ain't no number two.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                            That's not a good figure, since the three Dolphin subs were given free and half free by Germany and each costs something like a billion dollars(shekels?).
                            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Re: How's your fleet?

[SIZE=1]I learned the other day that the US built 120 carriers of different types during WW2.

Anyway, how is your country's navy doing, any idea?

Who is #2 these days? GB or Russia?
                              I WW2 the U.S. had thousand of carrier did you know that? They made thousand of boat into carrier of all types. DO you know how many got sunk of those thousands.

#2 it is probably China, just ahead of brittian <--- they are building a new super carrier. The chinese though dont not have alot of carriers. Their Navy is mostly thing for troops, and Aegis, and other ships to support that. Brittain may come on soon with some of their new navy programs.
                              Last edited by WRangler Rhymer; May 16, 2003, 12:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X