MTA gets it in the eye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTA gets it in the eye!

Your source for breaking news, news about New York, sports, business, entertainment, opinion, real estate, culture, fashion, and more.

For those unawares, the MTA recently raised transit fees from $1.50 per ride to $2.00. It was subsequently discovered that the MTA had outrighted cooked the books, hiding a $300 million projected surplus.

Of course, now we also know they weren't forthcoming in their negotiations with the transit workers months ago. This is a huge PR nightmare for the MTA, as they have totally lost the trust of the NYC people.

Good for the judge! Yay!
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

as a new yorker, i feel obliged to post in this thread.

that is all.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Like this will actually get rolled back....

I am happy the judge rulled this way (stick it to the MTA bastards and their two books!), but we all know 1. the MTA will appeal, and 2., fares will still be higher than 1.50 by the end of the day. There is little we can do to stop that "authority".
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I say we treat the MTA like a White House intern and f'the hell out of them.

Last edited by Dinner; May 15, 2003, 13:48.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

hi ,

one can only wonder what they have standing at the bank , .....

well they have to buy new trains , busses , work on the tunnels in a couple of years , it costs money , at least they put some on the side now for the near future , ....

still that 30 day unlimited card is the best deal , .....

, usd 2 , that means soon there shall be a whole load of two dollar bills and suzie b anthony's again on the tollboots

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

It went up to $2? ****ing A! I'm gonna be in the city on Memorial Day weekend and it's already going to cost a pretty penny (Bachelor party for one of my best friends). Yeesh!

MTA sucks! Yeah!

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

In his 19-page decision, York supported the Straphangers Campaign's arguments that the MTA's failure to reveal everything about its financial condition made the hearings a sham.
              19 pages for what Boris told us in 2 sentences....

Like this will actually get rolled back....
              GePap, You are probably correct...Sadly
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Boris: Just heard on the radio that the rollback has been put on hold. The MTA has apparently filed an intent to appeal. Better get those two dollar bills out. Looks like GePap was right on this one.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

who cares? as long as the funday unlimited pass still remains as $4, Im good.

:-p

Comment

Of course GePap is right. Wrists will be slapped. Perhaps even a head or two will roll. But the government will sure as hell keep its extra revenue!

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                      who cares? as long as the funday unlimited pass still remains as $4, Im good.

Well, then you must be awfull, cause its $7 now.

The problem is that, as the MTA said, they really don;t have to tell anyone anything about their finances in order for them to raise fares. I would hope the state would ammend the MTA's charter to make its accounting transparent, but like hell that will happen.

I don't think fares could have stayed at 1.50 for long, but 1.75 (while a more confusing number) would have been enough.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Now, now...let's not throw in the towell too soon. An appeal is to be expected. Maybe the courts will keep smackin' em down!
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

1.50, 1.75, and 2.00 are all nice round numbers.

the CTA's a bit less easy, what with the 1.80 figure if you transfer...
                          B♭3

Comment

The article quotes a figure of 7 million riders. I assume that this is per day. a $.50 increase translates into $3.5 million per day. Even if you don't count weekends this is nearly an extra $ 1 billion per year. Now that ain't pocket change!

Comment

Working...
                            X