Got depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got depression?

Has anyone here suffered with serious bouts of depression? I was just curious, within the last couple of years I've come to the realization that I have and have always had a serious problem with depression. Before, I don't think I ever noticed it or simply didn't acknowledge it as such, but as I've grown a little bit older and become much better at interacting with people(I used to be a complete recluse, improved very much in the last few years) its slowly dawned on me that my life and feelings aren't quite kosher.

My depression isn't manic depression or involve me EVER thinking of suicide(that would involve far too much effort). Its basically an all around listlessness (that I've always thought was just plain laziness, maybe it is) and an all around lack of hope in my ability to change anything in myself or the world around me. I got through school just fine by doing the absolute bare minimum but when I got into the real world I found it got harder and harder to cope with the stuff you have to do just to live, like paying bills, finding work, keeping in touch with friends and family...

Recently, these problems have just gotten worse and I'm considering therapy but don't know how to go about it and frankly, I'm skeptical that it can help me. Whining to someone about my problems for 50 minutes a week just doesn't seem very helpful(I say as I whine to you all). Well, share your feelings, experiences, expertise on the subject, what have you. Have you been successful dealing with depression? Have you had any experience with medicating your mental problems?

I combat it with ultra violence and depressants!
    :-p

Comment

Provost Harrison has suffered from depression, I don't know if he's feeling better or not yet.

Do you have a decent social life? If not, you may be becoming too self-absorbed.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I went through a rather bad depression at the end of college, centered around my sexuality and coming out. Once I started the coming out process, it gradually began to lift. I realized I had had a low-grade depression for a long time before that, but it had come to great intensity my senior year because of anxiety over the future.

I was put on Zoloft, but it didn't do a damn thing for me, but that's because my depression was totally about self-image. Once I was able to tear down my existence to it's base and start loving myself unconditionally, I was able to rebuild and the depression subsided totally.

While I've had some unhappy times, I have been depression-free since then.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I've had a problem with it ever since I was about 12. I was first medicated for it at 14, on and off since then.

I'm on an SSRI again right now, and seeing a psychologist, but it's not because of depression mainly. It's my social anxiety crap, but the medication (Celexa) treats both at the same time. I'm up to 40mg/day right now, and aside from the insomnia/headaches/muscle tightness of the first few days there's no side-effects for me.

I think it's working. Eventually I'm going up to 80mg/day, but already at 40 I'm noticing that my anxiety levels are reduced, which could be why I'm not as depressed, or it also could be because it's summer and I'm raking in money and just got a bunch of crap off my shoulders with the 'rents.

Medication isn't for everyone, sometimes you just need to change some things in your life. But medication worked for me.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

sleeping pills are good short term solver, but then again, I mentioned depressant already.

Even without pills.... Sleeping off your stress and depression is the best way to cope IMO (coping not solving ).

Comment

Im off work, with pay. It's gotten to the point where I get too sad to do anything anymore.

Ive been diagnosed with:

Mild schizophrenia
              Post-tramatic Stress Disorder
              Major Depression with Psychotic Symptoms
              Obessive-Compulsive disorder
              and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

i've been really depressed before, for me an unexpected near death experience (falling in a freezing river) helped me find my way out of the darkness.

my best coping strategy now is to exercise regularly (and i'm talking like an hour or two a day 5 or 6 days a week if you have time)

Comment

Suffered with horrible boughts since I was about 8. I finally put myself in therapy. I was like you and didn't think it would help at all but it did. It gave me alot of tools to use that help me when I feel the blues coming on. But again, there are times when I'm not so strong and simply give into it like I've been doing the past two days. Some days it's all I can do to function much past getting up off of the couch.
                  Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                  Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                  Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                  You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Tass: Were you in the Russian Army or something? I'm wondering about the post-tramatic stress disorder.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

My thread.

people have actually given good advice.
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                        Im off work, with pay. It's gotten to the point where I get too sad to do anything anymore.

Ive been diagnosed with:

Mild schizophrenia
                        Post-tramatic Stress Disorder
                        Major Depression with Psychotic Symptoms
                        Obessive-Compulsive disorder
                        and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
                        I only have chronic insomnia, but I'd like to think I have many other mental illness... (easier to just say I have it then blame it on myself... and that I get more medication )

Comment

I heard a line from a song yesterday........I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell. I would like to add to that statement that I have a prescription for prozac what's your excuse? I know I'm off but I take medication for it.......and you?
                          Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat
                            I heard a line from a song yesterday........I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell.
                            All day...staring at the ceiling,
                            Making friends with shadows on my wall.
                            All night...hearing voices telling me
                            That I should get some sleep,
                            Because tomorrow might be good for something .

Hold on
                            Feeling like I'm headed for a breakdown
                            And I don't know why

[Chorus]
                            But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
                            I know, right now you can't tell
                            But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
                            A different side of me
                            I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
                            I know, right now you don't care
                            But soon enough you're gonna think of me
                            And how I used to be...me

I'm talking to myself in public
                            Dodging glances on the train
                            And I know, I know they've all been talking about me
                            I can hear them whisper
                            And it makes me think there must be something wrong
                            with me
                            Out of all the hours thinking
                            Somehow I've lost my mind

[Chorus]

I've been talking in my sleep
                            Pretty soon they'll come to get me
                            Yeah, they're taking me away

[Chorus]

Yeah, how I used to be
                            How I used to be
                            Well, I'm just a little unwell
                            How I used to be
                            How I used to be
                            I'm just a little unwell...
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thank you Asher I like that line. It says it all.......I'm not crazy just a bit unwell.

Comment

Working...
                              X