X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you guys paid for XP?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes, I paid for XP. I am not into stealing, and all the lame attempts to rationalize why it isn't stealing when you use a cracked program. And, no, I don't pirate music or games either. While I may not agree with the high prices, I can choose to purchase stuff when the price goes down, or I can choose to pay the higher price (which I would for some things) or I don't buy it in which case I inform the company by calling, writing, and/or emailing as to why I am not buying the product (too expensive, poorly made, too buggy, etc).

At some point in time, Microsoft and other companies will crack down big time on the cracked copies, involving fines and possibly jail time, or something worse.

Comment

i paid for XPPro as well. not because I felt some moral responsibility--

but because uchicago has a site-licensing deal with Microsoft, and i only had to fork over us$15.

it's supposed to be uninstalled after i graduate, but i don't know how they're going to enforce that.
        B♭3

Comment

I have two Win XP Pro OEM (English) licenses for Tereshkova (my desktop PC) and Gagarin (my laptop PC), which I bought for 155€ each. Had Fujitsu-Siemens' OEM branded Win XP Home (Finnish) when I bought the laptop, but as I didn't want it, did a clean installation with Win XP Pro instead. Haven't regreted it with my very tuned OS setup on the laptop, with NTFS 2.1. Haven't intended to use Linux on the laptop as there's mostly integrated components, plus not enough internal HDD space. When you compare to the price of Red Har Linux, I can point out that I have next to me a Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1 (woody) CD-R which is fully legal and hasn't cost me anything (the disc was free too), so you don't have to buy Red Hat Linux, just to be Tuxified.

However, back to the topic. I recommend Win XP Pro for you. You won't regret it.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Yes it is. And incase you forgot, UR, Pro is a superset of Home.
            What I was saying was you can't compare RedHat Linux Pro with XP Pro on the word "Pro" alone. Since the former includes 60 days of phone and Web tech support. Also, you can install Linux on as many computers as you want once you buy a copy, as versus Windows XP, which attempts to give you the shaft with the activation code.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              What I was saying was you can't compare RedHat Linux Pro with XP Pro on the word "Pro" alone. Since the former includes 60 days of phone and Web tech support.
              60 days? That's it?

And how long is XP Pro's support for?

Also, you can install Linux on as many computers as you want once you buy a copy, as versus Windows XP, which attempts to give you the shaft with the activation code.
              Are you sure you can legally?
              I could have sworn the RH Pro EULA specified 1 per license.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher, I'm sure he didn't mean "legally."

Comment

60 days? That's it?

And how long is XP Pro's support for?
                  Free. Unlike Windows, where you have to pay through your nose.

Are you sure you can legally?
                  I could have sworn the RH Pro EULA specified 1 per license.
                  You can't put a EULA on top of Linux components due to the GPL.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                  X