Lawyer seeks ban on Oreos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer seeks ban on Oreos

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- A lawyer who has spent much of his life enjoying Oreo cookies has sued Kraft Foods Inc. seeking to ban the much-loved cookies in California because they contain trans fat, an ingredient he calls inedible.

Kraft boasts that people have eaten 450 billion Oreo cookies since they introduced the chocolate wafer sandwich cookies with a creamy filling in 1912.

But if British-born attorney Stephen Joseph has his way, that culinary love affair will come to an end, at least until Kraft stops using hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils to make the cookies.

Kraft calls the suit filed in Marin County Superior Court just north of San Francisco baseless but Joseph says he is taking advantage of a provision of the California civil code that holds manufacturers liable for common products if not "known to be unsafe by the ordinary consumer."

The ingredient is used in thousands and thousands of products. In an interview on Monday, Joseph said, "I am probably full of hydrogenated fat because until two years ago I didn't know about it. I resent the fact that I have been eating that stuff all my life."

Hydrogenation adds hydrogen gas to vegetable oil, helping to solidify it into products such as margarine. Health experts say the process makes them as unhealthy as real butter, if not more so, as the hydrogenated fats act like cholesterol in the body. Trans fats are common in cookies and crackers and part of both the cookie and filling in Oreos.

'Shocking' case
    "That's what's so shocking; that it has been so well hidden," said Joseph, who has set up an advocacy group called BanTransFats.com Inc. "I hope if nothing else comes of this lawsuit that more people know about trans fat than before."

Kraft says it is already testing alternatives to trans fats but said they will vigorously fight the lawsuit.

Its parent company Altria Group Inc. is also the owner of cigarette maker Philip Morris USA, itself no stranger to legal battles over product safety.

"We know the importance of good nutrition and we are committed to helping people lead a healthy lifestyle, but we have no choice than to draw the line against baseless lawsuits like this," Michael Mudd, Kraft's senior vice president for corporate affairs, said in an interview.

"We've been ... exploring ways to reduce trans fat in Oreos and those efforts are continuing," he continued. "You can make a cookie without trans fat but what you're trading off is the unique taste and texture that people have come to expect."

U.S. companies, the world masters in processed foods, are showing an awareness of trans fats. Frito-Lay, part of PepsiCo Inc., announced last year it would eliminate trans fats from snacks such as Doritos. McDonald's Corp. also said it would make French fries with less trans fat.

In February, a federal court threw out a lawsuit against McDonald's that claimed its burgers and fries cause obesity.

The commissioner for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said the agency will soon require labeling information about trans fats in foods.
    Rediculous Did anyone ever think eating Oreos is healthy? Don't eat them if you don't want to, but don't stop those who want to eat them from enjoying them!
    Yes
    12.50%
    No
    75.00%
    Banana
    12.50%
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Everything takes a turn at being bad for you.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I agree this is ridiculous... but let's be honest... if this leads to a new type of Oreo cookie that tastes the same (or better) but doesn't make you a fat ass, would this lawsuit be a bad thing?
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Copy cat thread alert!

BTW he wants to sue and ban every food maker which has a product which contains transfatty acids. Transfatty acids are food in just about every type of processed or prepackaged food and are basically made when other compounds under go hydrogenation.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's the second-hand trans fat that's the problem.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"Health experts" blah blah blah

Worse than lawyers, except that lawyers have a way of forcing their ignorance on the rest of us.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Second thread about the subject, but I think this should be left open because of the poll.

That's a humble opinion.

Did anyone ever think eating Oreos is healthy?
              No: Ridiculous, indeed. They should be fined from the waste of court's time and resources.

Comment

i just had a tube this morning, and i always thought they gave me a day's worth of vitamans, burned fat, cured cancer and acted as birth control.

guess i have a few phone calls to make.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Should Oreos be banned ? Probably not ?
                  Should they be forced not to use hydrogenerated oil if the dangers of it are proven ? Definitely

So, banana for me
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

OK, Nabisco and other corporations aren't responsible if people abuse their products, or get fat and die of coronaries eating unhealthy food all day long.

A reasonable person who eats a reasonable amount of oreos won't die from oreos - if you have clogged arteries, don't eat oreos, and don't eat 2 boxes a day, and you'll be fine. Duh.
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

But I can't be held responsible for my own actions! It simply MUST be somebody else's fault.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If the trans fat of Oreos is a real health hazard, and the general public isn't informed of this (much like the general public wasn't informed of the real dangers of tobacco before the 70's), it is the role of the law to stop it.

If trans fat is really dangerous, I don't see anything wrong in having Oreos' recipe being changed, to get rid of trans fat. After all, the product is 90 years old, I doubt there was trans fat in its contents all along...
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

banning oreos? hm... i see a lot of people running 'cross the border to buy them... will we have border guards to make sure that they aren't smuggled in?

how about a regulation that only allows people over 21 to purchase them?
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            But I can't be held responsible for my own actions! It simply MUST be somebody else's fault.
                            Remember, there are stupid people out there. As Spiffor said:
                            If the trans fat of Oreos is a real health hazard, and the general public isn't informed of this (much like the general public wasn't informed of the real dangers of tobacco before the 70's), it is the role of the law to stop it.

If trans fat is really dangerous, I don't see anything wrong in having Oreos' recipe being changed, to get rid of trans fat. After all, the product is 90 years old, I doubt there was trans fat in its contents all along...
                            It seems to me that this guy is suing to get them to get rid of trans fat. Not to make his wallet as fat as he is.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

McDonald's Corp. also said it would make French fries with less trans fat.

WHAT !?!? FRENCH fries ? Where is the world coming to ?

Comment

Working...
                              X