The iLoo is a hoax.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The iLoo is a hoax.

I think that MS have too much time on their hands.

Slashdot
    urgh.NSFW

I can't believe anyone thought it was real in the first place

Comment

One would think that a thing coming out from a press center of Microsoft would be genuine, or at least presumably genuine.

I rolled my eyes at the message, thinking the world has gone mad, to be honest.

EDIT: typo
      Last edited by Az; May 13, 2003, 11:34.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

big surprise...

But now you've got to wonder if It really wasn't a hoax, but that the public reaction was so negative they are claiming it to be one?

Comment

Anyone that thought it was for real should be locked up in a mental institution!

Comment

I U 2 KROPO.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

*cancels order*
              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

@ DV

A hoax? Next thing they will claim that the press release was sent off by a rogue employee.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Microsoft: ILoo No Hoax After All
                  Tue May 13, 7:14 PM ET Add Technology - AP to My Yahoo!

By HELEN JUNG, AP Business Writer

SEATTLE - What's true with the iLoo? Microsoft Corp. and its public relations firm changed their story — again — Tuesday about whether the United Kingdom division had been developing an Internet-enabled portable toilet.

On Monday, three representatives for the software giant told news agencies, including The Associated Press, that an April 30 news release trumpeting the "iLoo" was a hoax and apologized for "any confusion or offense."

But on Tuesday, the company reversed itself, saying the iLoo was real but now has been killed.

"We jumped the gun basically yesterday in confirming that it was a hoax, and in fact it was not," said Lisa Gurry, MSN group product manager. "Definitely, we're going to be taking a good look at our communication processes internally."

It's a public relations embarrassment for a company famous for micromanaging news releases, interviews and promotional events.

"It's definitely not how we like to do PR at Microsoft," Gurry said.

The iLoo was described as a portable toilet equipped with a wireless (news - web sites) keyboard and a height-adjustable plasma screen with high-speed Internet access. Microsoft's MSN division was "in the process of converting a portable loo to create a unique experience" in time for the summer festival season, according to the release.

Several news organizations, including the AP, carried reports of the project. An AP reporter specifically asked whether it was a hoax and was assured last week by Microsoft, its Portland, Ore.-based PR firm Waggener Edstrom and another PR firm in London, Red Consultancy, that the project was real.

On Monday, technology Web site CNET, based on a tip, wrote that the iLoo was a hoax and quoted Microsoft spokesman Nouri Bernard Hasan as saying, "I can confirm it was an April Fool's joke."

The AP and The Wall Street Journal also were told Monday by two company spokeswomen that the iLoo was a fraud.

On Tuesday, though, Microsoft said it had relied on bad information from a Microsoft employee in the United Kingdom who said it was a hoax, Gurry said. After more talks with people in London, the company determined it was a real project, after all.

The U.K. division likes to run clever and innovative marketing campaigns, Gurry said, and had thought an iLoo would appeal to the British. MSN typically allows its units to tailor their own campaigns to their regions, she said.

But MSN's executive team, which had heard of the iLoo through news reports, took the unusual step of killing the project on Monday, she said, believing that the portable toilet "wasn't the best extension of our brand."

It's still unclear how much work was ever done on the iLoo. Gurry said she did not know how much time or money was spent on it.

The company had said it was building a prototype and was in the process of converting a portable toilet. But MSN marketing manager Tracy Blacher said Tuesday in London that the company had not done that. Rather, Blacher, who described the project in the original news release that quoted her repeatedly, said MSN had some discussions with portable toilet manufacturers, which she said she could not name because she was not at her desk.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

After I found it on a legitimate site, I figured it was either true (and massively dumb) or a big publicity stunt.

Looks more and more like a stunt. Didn't think Microsoft had it in them.
                    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

To me it says more about how chaotic MS really is internally. So many people think of MS like one collective borg hive, when in reality it's more like a republic.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"But on Tuesday, the company reversed itself, saying the iLoo was real but now has been killed. "

I may have an IQ of 96 but I have huge precognition powers.

Comment

DV

So Microsoft were crazy, but then let public humiliation and finger pointing knock some sense into them.

And they say that Peer pressure is a bad thing.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Stefu....ROFL

*wiping the tears from my eyes*

Comment

Working...
                            X