X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County scraps mission to seek Klingon speakers

Associated Press
    Published May 13, 2003

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Sorry, potential Klingon interpreters.

Officials have said they won't be needing your services, after all.

The office that treats mental health patients in Multnomah County had included Klingon on a list of 55 languages that could be spoken by incoming patients.

But the inclusion of the Star Trek language drew a spate of tongue-in-cheek headlines.

And now the county has rescinded its call, stressing that it hasn't spent a penny of public money on Klingon interpretation.

"It was a mistake, and a result of an overzealous attempt to ensure that our safety net systems can respond to all customers and clients," Multnomah County chair Diane Linn said in a news release.

County officials previously had said that no patient had ever come in speaking only Klingon, but that the county would pay a Klingon interpreter in the unlikely case one was actually needed.

In recent years, Klingon has gone from being a fictional tongue for the Star Trek television and movie series to a complete language, with its own grammar, syntax and vocabulary.

Klingon phrases

The Klingon Language Institute (www.kli.org) teaches the following:

qaStaH nuq? -- What's happening?

naDevvo' yIghoS -- Go away

Hab SoSlI' Quch! -- Your mother has a smooth forehead! (Beware: strong insult).

Yes, incoming MENTAL patients may speak Klingon. What do you think gave them away? As the inductee is claiming, "I'm not crazy" but no one can understand because they don't speak the language. I think Oregon tops California when it comes to loonies.

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

But is it in time to stop the flood of out-of-state overweight, 40-something Star Trek fans coming to Oregon seeking employment?

"People laughed at me in High School, but now I can prove to them that my overarching knowledge of all things Trek can be used for the power of Good!"

Comment

Isn't there some sort of Klingon community near there? Scary.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Comment

After some Googling, I found that the University of Oregon has a Klingon Language department in the Yamada Language Center.

There is also the ability to participate in Klingon Karaoke. I refuse to link to those sites.

Comment

This is clearly discriminatory towards Romulan
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

If overweight 40-year-old nerds pretending to be Jedi knights fought overweight 40-year-old nerds pretending to be Klingons, who would win?
              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

If the Klingon's fight like Worf (whom, iirc, got his ass consistantly kicked) then the Jedi's win easily.

I'm now starting to scare myself.

Comment

It seems that sense is slowly returning to the universe.

The iLoo is a hoax.

minesweeper writes "It appears that the 'iLoo,' a portable toilet with Internet access designed by Microsoft, was actually just a hoax issued by its MSN division in the United Kingdom. In addition to receiving press here on Slashdot, the fake release was also covered by The Wall Street Journal, The...
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

I KNEW IT!!!!!

Comment

"I think Oregon tops California when it comes to loonies. "

Yuk Foo!

Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Due to population comparisons, I guess it's quality over quantity.

RAH
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

rah, there's an Oregonian in a museum somewhere, the rest are mostly Californians, a few texans...and me.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Worst decision - ever!

I can see the point. After all, a person that spends a great amount of time to learn a language that hardly anyone undestands or uses are probably bound to end up in the cuckoo's nest sooner or later. I'm quite sure the same applies to latin students...

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                              rah, there's an Oregonian in a museum somewhere, the rest are mostly Californians, a few texans...and me.

I've been there a few times and everyone has always been very nice, but a bit strange.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X