From the BBC:

Riyadh bomb victims
    7 Americans
    7 Saudis
    2 Jordanians
    2 Filipinos
    1 Lebanese
    1 Swiss

Those numbers do not include the nine suicide bombers.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

The wahabists are evil hate spewing facist scum. By proping up the Saudi royal family we are shaking hands with the devil. I know the house of Saud is preferable to a fundie government but, let's face facts here, they are the supporter and spreader of the worst fundamentalist religion on earth (wahabism) and they turn a blind eye to Islamic terrorism unless the US absolutely pushes them to into a corner.
      and if certain people weren't connected to Saudi oil money, perhaps we'd be doing something about it
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

, Oerdin, I don't think this adds up to 90.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

maybe that's just confirmed deaths... i.e. bodies that have been identified...
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Every US admistration has kissed the Saudi's butt, Sava. Not once has the EU or the US made more than the tiniest peep against the repressive Saudis. We need them and they know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
              , Oerdin, I don't think this adds up to 90.
              It adds up to 29 which is the death toll currently reported by the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
                Every US admistration has kissed the Saudi's butt, Sava. Not once has the EU or the US made more than the tiniest peep against the repressive Saudis.
                Yes
                We need them and they know it.
                I don't think this is the case. I just think it would require more effort to handle the Saudi problem in other, more effective ways.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

As long as peole in thic country want gas under 2 bucks a gallon forever, we will continue to kiss Saud ass, and the fact of the matter is that the second most powerful group in saudi Arabia today are not western style liberals, but the Islamists, which just means we will be kissing Saud ass until they somehow can build a western leaning middle class strong enough to beat the Islamists.

On the Shiite front: I don't think the Shiites in Iraq will move very quickly toward s an Islamist state like Iran, though that is better than some ohter possibilities. But I think LoTM that you overestimate how much the US can do to stop iranian influence. We don;t even have enough resources to bring back law and order yet, far less start trying to confront one of the largest and best organized Iraqi exile groups.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The best thing we can do to stop the fundies is to turn Iraq into a successful pro-western capitalist state where (like in Turkey) the western trained military enforces a seporation between religion and state.

If we can get Iraq's economy moving and keep it's government teaching the people not to hate everyone who's different then the Arab world will finally have a positive role model.

Comment

the western trained military enforces a seporation between religion and state.
                      Imagine that...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin It adds up to 29 which is the death toll currently reported by the BBC.
                        Libération also talks about "at least 25 dead".
                        I suppose there are 2 different source : the State Department and the Saudi authorities.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          The best thing we can do to stop the fundies is to turn Iraq into a successful pro-western capitalist state where (like in Turkey) the western trained military enforces a seporation between religion and state.

If we can get Iraq's economy moving and keep it's government teaching the people not to hate everyone who's different then the Arab world will finally have a positive role model.
                          Oh, you mean like turkey the country were an Islamist party won the elctions, and which commits human rightsa buses exactl due to that army you gush about? I mean, its noty like turkey ever had problems with terrorism...... Or perhaps like Algeria, were the army kept the Islamist out of government even when they won the elctions, leading to a terror campaign that killed 100,000? Oh, as long as the dead are Arabs, who gives a rats ass, right?

The best we can do for Iraq is lay down the foundations for a peaceful civil society and rule of law, and go with whatever the Iraqis decide for themselves, in the long run.

Comment

The State department is reporting 90 dead right now, with the possibility that more died.

And the Chechnya bomb deathtoll went to 52.

Comment

we're like SOO suitable to be a target right now.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Gepap: I haven't gushed about anyone and, yes, as bad as that situation is it is still the best we can hope for.

Comment

Working...
                                X