Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the Killer Oreos!

Lawsuit seeks to ban Oreos because of dangerous fats

Kids in California may have to give up their Oreos, if a lawsuit filed by a San Francisco public interest lawyer is successful.

The lawsuit, filed last week in Marin County superior court, seeks a ban on the black and white cookies, arguing the trans fats that make the filling creamy and the cookie crisp are too dangerous for children to eat.

Stephen Joseph filed the suit against Nabisco, the maker of Oreos, in Marin County Superior Court last week after reading articles about the health threat posed by the artificial fat that is contained in most packaged foods but isn't listed with other the nutritional information.

The big difference between this suit and others that have targeted tobacco and McDonald's fast food is that consumers know that tobacco is bad for their health and that McDonald's food contains a lot of fat, Joseph said.

"Trans fat is not the same thing at all. Very few people know about it," he said, explaining that his suit focuses on the fact that trans fats are contained hidden dangers being marketed to children.

Joseph said he targeted Nabisco because as other major snack food sellers reduced the amount of trans fats in their products, Nabisco had not.

For God's sake, PLEASE let there be ONE sane judge in California that can laugh this assclown out of court!

Trans fats are actually quite bad for you. I didn't know about them either until a friend enlightened me.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

The bay area is the epicenter for stupidity and liberalism (but I repeat myself). I wish they'd make these lawyers pay the winners bills once their lawsuits get tossed out.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        The bay area is the epicenter for stupidity and liberalism
        Hey! Liberalism, yes, studpidity... eh, not really. I prefer to call it righteous ignorance.
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Why not try to have trans fats listed in the nutrional information, instead of irrationally banning an entire food item from an entire state. Going about it the wrong way...
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The bay area is the epicenter for stupidity and liberalism
            I concur

Are they going to ban all Oreos???

Yeah, whatever, doesn't surprise me.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

well this has more merit than the McDonald's suit as well.

I did not know Oreos were so bad for you. but I don't really eat them, so it is no big deal.

Comment

Mmm...Oreos dipped in milk... *drools*

The only reason I haven't eaten them since 2001-ish is because three batches my mom brought home from the store had "crunchy bits" INSIDE the white filling. And they weren't cookie bits either...

Horrors...
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

never ceases to amaze me
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

"Me either!" Says Tuberski as he eats an Oreo Cream Pie.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Great, I've never been fond of Oreos anyways....
                      DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

I didn't know the existence of Oreos before this thread, but before bashing the SF judge, I'd like to know what are the hidden dangers of trans fat.

Don't forget there was a time where the dangers of the cigarette were unknown, and someone would get ridiculed by complaining about tobacco's health hazards.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I though this thread was about Black republicans...
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Here is a quote from the American Heart Association. Compared to some things I've read, it seems pretty mild.

In clinical studies, trans fatty acids or hydrogenated fats tend to raise total blood cholesterol levels, but less than more saturated fatty acids. Trans fatty acids also tend to raise LDL ("bad") cholesterol and lower HDL ("good") cholesterol when used instead of cis fatty acids or natural oils. These changes may increase the risk of heart disease. It's not clear if trans fats that occur naturally have the same effect on cholesterol and heart disease as those produced by hydrogenating vegetable oils.
                            GePap:

Comment

Upon hearing the dangers of eating oreos, I herded my dogs into the shell-proof bunker outside behind the titanium steel doors, and watched and waited. I shuddered just thinking about the horror of the oreos that no doubt lurked somewhere out there, waiting to suck the life out of me with the vile trans fat...

I wait in fear.
                              Empire growing,
                              Pleasures flowing,
                              Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Working...
                              X