What is Your Political Philosophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Your Political Philosophy?

Fez asked me this is a different thread. I started to answer him there, but feared it would lead to a thread jacking. So I moved my response topic over here...

I started out as a conservative Republican but have been a liberal Democrat since I was twenty.

I still hold some traditionally conservative values, such as balanced budgets and personal responsibility. I exault small businesses but, while recognizing the contribution of large corporations, I am highly suspecious of them. I see government as a necessary counterbalance to the abuses of big corporations.

I expouse demand-side economics and wonder if there's anything valid about supply-side economics. Concentration of great wealth is a very bad thing, while a social program which provides a way of succeeding to those who work hard and work smart is a very good thing. Government's job is not to give handouts but rather to level the playing field in order to give those who wish to succeed the chance to succeed.

I tend to be pacifistic, but I was pro-Gulf-War-I and pro-Afghanistan. While slow to pull the trigger, I'm a big supported of the best equipment and training for our troops. When I hear Lancer talk about the shoddy equipment he had when he was first stationed in the Fulda Gap, or when I hear about the families of our troops being on food stamps, I tend to go a bit psycho.

I'm pro-ecology, but I defined ecology as humanity living harmoniously within the enviroment, not as we see in places like the huge Alaskan preserves, excluding humaniity from the environment.
    What about you guys?

I just agree with whomever I'm speaking to. I guess you could call me a Clintonista.

Comment

I've been consistently a fascist...

Moderate Capitalist... more along the lines of Corporatism... I think there should be close relations between business and government (tariff walls, business loans, etc.) so that American businesses may flourish and Americans may have job security. There should be a re-vitalization program in urban areas, consisting of small business loans, businesses should get tax breaks for coming into urban areas, etc. there should also be tax breaks for businesses that hire ex-felons.

as for moral issues... social conservatism along Republican lines is a must. abortion is genocide, etc. the war on drugs needs to be re-organized to target middle america... there's no point in arresting the typical small urban drug dealer who, now with a criminal record preventing employment, will go straight back to slanging. **** that... suburban drug users should be arrested en masse

economic criminals such as muggers or drug dealers should also be released on parole upon promising to attend college or job training courses. they should be monitored of course but educational oppurtunities must be maximized.

tax cuts for the lower middle class are a must... it disturbs me that those who work hard and got alright jobs end up getting taxed out of their money to support welfare and what not.

I care little about environmentalism or foreign affairs or whatever other issues... my main concern is improving the lives of the lower middle class chiefly in urban areas.

thanks
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Socially progressive Democrate who is a strong budget hawk and believes in the lowest progressive tax system possible.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm an extreme centrist.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

In as few words possible: Moderate Libertarian (ie, Economically to the right, Socially to the left, but in both cases not extreme).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I believe in tropical breezes.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I am all over the place.

I would call myself a radical humanist and quasi-utalitarian. I support a free market, but believe that the notion has some inherent flaws and that it is too fundamentally political to make unregulated markets possible.

I abhor any politics that believes it has universal answers, and thus I am a social liberal, if only because this position allows for variations.

I guess the best way to put my world view is this: I don;t believe in any sort of absolute, or that there are any inherently "true" values. As such, more important to me than the answers are the rules of the game by which you will attempt to reach an answer to whatever game we mankind have set out to play.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm an evil kommunist.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

1. Government shouldn't take my money from me.
                    2. Oppress the oppressive.
                    3. Government can watch people all it wants, as long as it doesn't **** around with people's stuff.
                    4. Rule #2 is the exception to rule #3.
                    5. If someone deserves to get their ass kicked, they should get their ass kicked.
                    6. Nobody gives a **** if some rare Californian fly is going to go extinct if a construction project goes through. Bring on the 'dozers!
                    7. The DH has got to go.
                    8. It's "Land for Peace," implying that we will give up our land when Palestine is peaceful, but we do not have to until they are.
                    9. Any law that is disobeyed by a massive number of people (40% or something like that) is unjust. Drinking under 18, for example.
                    10. All lists should be required, by law, to have a number of items that is a multiple of ten. 5 and 25 are the only exceptions.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

8. It's "Land for Peace," implying that we will give up our land when Palestine is peaceful, but we do not have to until they are.
                      say what?
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Didn't you hear? Palestinians are about to take Maryland!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

They can have it! except we'll have to keep B-more

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                            They can have it! except we'll have to keep B-more
                            Considering Baltimore is the least-desirable spot in Maryland, I doubt there will be objection.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

hey baltimore got that ESPN store, dont it? thats enough to make it worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X