X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female fans shivered and went limp

'Dark Lover': Rudolph Valentino and the Deflowering of America
    By BARRY GEWEN

Sexual intercourse began / In nineteen sixty-three / (Which was rather late for me).'' Philip Larkin was off by 42 years. Sexual intercourse actually began in 1921, on Oct. 30 to be precise. That was the date on which ''The Sheik,'' featuring Rudolph Valentino, opened at two movie houses in New York City. Valentino had already become a star some months earlier with his dazzlingly erotic tango in ''The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse,'' but it was ''The Sheik'' that launched him into the stratosphere. Crowds mobbed the theaters, breaking attendance records. Across the country, female fans shivered and went limp. Smart young men with an eye for the ladies were soon being called ''sheiks'' -- and looking for adventure with girls called ''shebas.'' Some years later, Sheik condoms went on sale, with a silhouette of Valentino on their packages. What does a woman want? Apparently, in 1921, what millions of women wanted was the fantasy of a swarthy, intense, exotic stranger with flowing robes and piercing eyes sweeping them up and forcing himself upon them.

The ground for Valentino had been prepared in the preceding decade -- with bobbed hair and rising hemlines, dance crazes and petting parties, campaigns for birth control and woman suffrage. But you would have to look back to 19th-century celebrities like Byron, Liszt and Paganini to find comparisons, and even those pale: it took the modern media to turn female hysteria into a mass phenomenon. And if a Rudolph Valentino had never been seen before, it is necessary to add that nothing truly like him has been seen since.
    The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
    Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

*Waits for Boris Godunov to see this, shiver and then go limp*

Comment

Erm, what is exactly the point of this thread ? Are we to discuss female hysteria towards stars ? Or are we to discuss of Rudolph Valentino ?
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I really have no idea but it looks like spam-bait to me...

Comment

YAY !
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

So, who is today's heartthrob? Who causes the teeny bob girls to shreek, quiver and faint?
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Today, I think it's t.a.t.u., a Russian lesbian pop duo...

Comment

Mmmmmh, I can only imagine throngs of lesbian chicks quiver and faint by watching a tatu concert

Comment

Yeah, personally I like Tati better though.

'Hulot...'

Comment

It is much more difficult to me to imagine lesbian chicks weeping at the sight of Monsieur Hulot though

Comment

He was awfully polite towards the fair sex, you have to admit.

Perhaps that's what's wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X