Help me, I've started smoking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me, I've started smoking!

For my entire life I've been talking people out of smoking, my parents, my friends...

I've had a rough month which has luckily ended without any serious results aside from one: I happened to start smoking 3 weeks ago and I don't quite feel like quitting.

Kick some sense into me with awful facts from personal experience or what not...

So STOP!!!

Just think: increased chance of dying from, well, everything. Plus you will smell bad and have yellow teeth.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Perhaps social pressure is a good method? Stop smoking or no one on Poly will ever talk to you again!!!
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I enjoy smoking. It feels good. Plus its proven to keep you 10 pounds thinner. Cuz if you dont have a cig in your mouth, guess what? Your eating something!

Comment

Of course if your not like me. I wouldnt recommend smoking. I would say just friggin quit cold turkey while you arent hooked!

Ive quit on several occassions. But I just enjoy it too much. its unique...its me. Ive smoked since I was 13.

Comment

Re: Help me, I've started smoking!

Originally posted by Alvaro

Kick some sense into me with awful facts from personal experience or what not...
            Go to any old folks home and talk to someone who's hooked up to a respirator. Chances are they'll have been a smoker for most of their life. Better yet, watch someone die because of lung failure. It's not a pretty sight. I know, I watched my father die that way.

Of course I'm one to talk, I started smoking again six months later, after the shock factor wore off.

Comment

willem: that's pretty terrbile, why exactly did you start again though?

Comment

Originally posted by Alvaro
                willem: that's pretty terrbile, why exactly did you start again though?
                I was going through a stressful and insecure time, and I made the mistake of allowing people to smoke in my home. After awhile, the temptation got the better of me. I discovered that the occasional cigarette was a great tranquilizer. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep it at just being a part-time smoker, before long I was right back to where I started from.

I'm going to be quitting again soon though, I don't want to be smoker when I reach the west coast.

Comment

Take it from a hard core smoker... QUIT NOW WHILE IT'S EASIER...

Just do it... it's a crappy habit. It costs tons of money, you smell, and not only do you die, but it's a slow and painful death...

The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit... so stop now.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Quit, now that you're not yet addicted.

Comment

Re: So STOP!!!

Originally posted by GePap
                      Just think: increased chance of dying from, well, everything. Plus you will smell bad and have yellow teeth.
                      Not to meantion all the money your pissing away while your getting those deieses, yellow teeth, and bad breath.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

did anyone mention there're good chances you'll die from asphyxia, if you're lucky?

Comment

Did you guys ever see that movie "Real Men"?
                          Guy A: I never knew you smoked.
                          Guy B: I only smoke after sex.
                          Guy A: Well, at least you don't smoke that much.
                          Guy B: eh, about a pack a day.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

While I don't smoke myself, I know many of hardcore smokers who begun by thinking it would just be occasional, and they'll end doing it about as easily as they have begun. Two very close friends have begun together a mere 3 years ago, and every attempt they have done to quit smoking (even assisted by myself or by their girlfriends) has failed until now. They are already too hooked, and I fear they'll never manage to quit smoking.

To quit, you have to do several of the following :

- decide not to smoke anymore. You won't fulfill this decision every time, but at least you'll feel guilty everytime you fire up a cig, so it will reduce your consumption

- do not buy cigarettes ever again. Not once. Ever. Smoke only cigarettes that you rake from your friends. Do not ever give your friends their money or their cigarettes back. Have them pissed at you for taking their cigs, do not hesitate

- Strictly forbid anyone to smoke in your house / room / any place that belongs to you. I'm sure you were able to do this back when you were an anti smoker. Continue this habit

- Hang this kind of picture somewhere in your room. Don't unhang them, and understand what they mean :
                            Healthy Lungs : - Unhealthy lungs :

- If you have a girlfriend, demand her to refuse kissing you everytime you stink of smoke. You'll deserve it, because you'd stink.

- Quitting smoking isn't easy. Most smokers are hooked for life, because cigarettes are designed to be terribly addictive. I've seen many people failing miserably to stop despite having a very strong will (much stronger than mine for sure). I have seen my uncle dying before being 60, back when his son wasn't married. Last summer, I've seen a close friend's father die at 55, leaving her wife all alone for the rest of her life. I have seen a friend of my parents dying at 40, leaving a 11 year old orphan son and a lone mother who couldn't hope to raise her kid with the same standards after that. We've never heard about them after his death.

- Maybe even worse : I've seen my cousins begin this horrible habit because their parents smoke. If you continue smoking, be aware your future children have high chances to make the same horrible mistake as you. Be fully aware of your responsiblities.

- You don't have to smoke when you are in a stressful situation. I know a lone mother who is in a terrible stress because of here inability to cope with her baby, her studies, her financial problems and her heart problems, but despite being exposed to more stress than I have ever directly witnessed elsewhere, she still doesn't smoke.

- Smoking hurts your sexual performance. One of my smoking friends had a terrible sexual life with a girlfriend, and it contributed direly to the end of their relationship.

- Start NOW ! NOW is the easiest time to stop. It is difficult already. But nothing like the hell you're gonna endure if you try starting later.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Boy, it sure doesn't take much to get some folks hooked. Let me repeat what others have said: Quit now while you can, or you may never be able to quit until a horrible toll has been taken on your body.

BTW, I read somewhere that women are more likely to become addicted to cigarettes — and quicker, too — than men are. It only takes like five cigarettes for an "urge" to take root, and the "urge" turns into habit and addiction shortly thereafter. Hmm ... I think it was because women are smaller than men, thus the nicotine permeates their tissues and brain quicker than men ...

Gatekeeper
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X