Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush wants MidEast Free Trade Zone

See:

Pres. Bush sure is busy reshaping the Middle East!
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Free trade with the US for any country the US approves of.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
      Free trade with the US for any country the US approves of.
      The carrot and the stick approach is an age old technique to inspire loyalty. So, why not?

If any other country were a sole superpower, I can garantee you they would be doing the exact same thing!
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

Furthermore, is it not in the US's best interests to motive as many countries as possible to adopt pro-US policies?

Comment

I am interested to know what kind of international trade would be made easier by that free trade zone in the years to come.

But I see quite well the trades which could be made more difficult
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
            The carrot and the stick approach is an age old technique to inspire loyalty. So, why not?
            And there's not a lot of loyalty in the world, is there? Subservience for a time, yes.

If any other country were a sole superpower, I can garantee you they would be doing the exact same thing!
            "Hey, officer, if anyone else got to test drive this Ferrari, they'd do 100 in a school zone, too"

What other countries would do in your opinion is relevant how?
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Furthermore, is it not in the US's best interests to motive as many countries as possible to adopt pro-US policies?
              It's in everyone's best interests to get everyone to adopt pro-them policies.

Unfortunately, national policy isn't so conveniently one-dimensional, nor is trade. Remember our "staunch allies" the Saudis?

Most of these countries have virtually nothing to trade with the US, unless they take China's place as sweatshop labor supplier of choice. Don't bore me with oil - there are no duties on oil, and it's a standard globally traded commodity, with prices set on open markets. Who buys whose oil is irrelevent, except wrt shipping costs. That's why we buy a lot from Nigeria, because it's closer and therefore cheaper to ship to US ports, not because there's a special deal on the oil or we like them.

Comment

"Hey, officer, if anyone else got to test drive this Ferrari, they'd do 100 in a school zone, too"

What other countries would do in your opinion is relevant how?
                That is not a good example. Driving at 100 mph in a school zone is illegal, setting up a trade zone is not!

Comment

Wow! Things are going just as planned for Bushee... I wonder when the Iran war will start.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That is not a good example. Driving at 100 mph in a school zone is illegal, setting up a trade zone is not!
                    Whoooooosh, over your head.

I was pointing out the fallacy of arguing a point on the premise that, "well, someone else would do it too."

The illegality is core to that point that went sailing over your head. That point being that the merits or lack thereof stand on their own, and the whole "anyone else would do it" argument is meaningless.

Comment

Most of these countries have virtually nothing to trade with the US, unless they take China's place as sweatshop labor supplier of choice. Don't bore me with oil - there are no duties on oil, and it's a standard globally traded commodity, with prices set on open markets. Who buys whose oil is irrelevent, except wrt shipping costs. That's why we buy a lot from Nigeria, because it's closer and therefore cheaper to ship to US ports, not because there's a special deal on the oil or we like them.
                      What about the fact that a Free Trade Zone in the ME will improve the standard of living in the ME, which will reduce poverty and despair, which will make terrorism less popular.

After all, aren't commentators always saying:"Attacking the terrorist won't reduce terrorism, you have to reduce the causes of terrorism like poverty and economic despair"? Well, a Free Trade Zone could help reduce the economic despair that supposely contributes to terrorism.

If you want a peaceful ME, democracy and capitalism are the best ways of doing it.

Comment

If this free-trade thing didn't mean big bucks for MNC's, it wouldn't be happening; despite whatever possible positive effects it might have.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

A ME trade zone is a good idea since it will boost the ME economy. The grinding poverty and lack of international exposure feeds the xenopobes and extremists.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

What about the fact that a Free Trade Zone in the ME will improve the standard of living in the ME, which will reduce poverty and despair, which will make terrorism less popular.

After all, aren't commentators always saying:"Attacking the terrorist won't reduce terrorism, you have to reduce the causes of terrorism like poverty and economic despair"? Well, a Free Trade Zone could help reduce the economic despair that supposely contributes to terrorism.

If you want a peaceful ME, democracy and capitalism are the best ways of doing it.
                            Free trading is hardly the first step in development; in the absence of a viable industry, it could simply make its building more difficult or even impossible.
                            Statistical anomaly.
                            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              A ME trade zone is a good idea since it will boost the ME economy. The grinding poverty and lack of international exposure feeds the xenopobes and extremists.

What do the ME countries have to export besides oil now? In the eventuality that they might start some sort of industries, free trade ensures that these industries get crushed by transnational corporations.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X