John Doe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
    Actually, JD pulled in .5 to one mil more the Fastlane each week in total viewers, although it was a little closer in the 18-45.
    There are many types of ratings... you looked at total viewers, and I was looking at households...

18 - 45 and 18 - 34 is what Fox can make money on. They can sell the younger audiences... They can't compete cost wise on total audiences. To do so, they have to lower their overall price, and they won't do that because of the strong younger ratings.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Friday was a good launching point for X-files.
      The X-Files ran on Friday for years and did build up a sizeable cult following, but it didn't really break out until it moved to Sundays. Look at the other Chris Carter Friday projects that were good but failed anyway, like Millenium and that virtual reality show with whats-her-name from "Pump Up The Volume".
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I liked Millenium... it was a good show.

X-Files was their best "breakout" show after the simpsons... they treated it well and gave it a real time slot
        Keep on Civin'

Comment

I liked it overall - it was a good replacement to The Pretender. There was some stuff I didn't like so much (the suprise in the season finale, for example, which was predictable and yet nonsensical. Some other stuff also (which hopefully wil be/was meant to be explained, like the color/colorblind plot devices, the losing and regaining his powers , etc).

The storyline was getting fairly convoluted though (more quickly than the Pretender had done ), so I realized there was little chance it would last long enough as a series to really explain everythin g(if everything could be explained) so if it gets canceled, it'll be a shame, but not something I wouldn't have expected (especially since a lot of shows of that style don't last long in friday or saturday timeslot, with one or two exceptions).
          Last edited by Edan; May 9, 2003, 15:52.
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

I loved Millineum but thought it suffered from Chris Carter being unable to commit fully to it. The virtual reality show was "Harsh Realm" and I didn't like it very much. I guess the point I'm trying to make with the X-files reference was that the X-files was given a chance to build a following that exploded when it was moved to a better slot. I think Dark Angel could have done this if they wouldn't have cancelled it and I think John Doe can if given more time. FastLane will never be a hit. It had an enormous advertising push, a solid slot on Wednesdays, and it still pulls in sorry ratings. I don't hold great hope that JD will be renewed; I know that FL is a more Fox-y type show. After watching Fox kill every show worth watching over the last few years I felt I had to try something this season to save one of the last remaining good shows on TV.

Looks like I'll be spending more time on 'Poly next season.

Comment

Dark Angel had two full seasons. That's more than most new shows will get to prove they can survive.

It was a guaranteed contract, or it wouldn't have lasted that long.

Oh, and my family loved the show.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Is it a suprise that X-files did well on friday nights? Its not like its fans had anything better to do on those days. Including me

Comment

I guess the point I'm trying to make with the X-files reference was that the X-files was given a chance to build a following that exploded when it was moved to a better slot.
                  I agree, but the same can be said of many good shows that don't last long. Most networks want an immediate hit and don't want to invest the time it takes to build an audience.

They'd rather try three new shows over three seasons and hope for a hit rather than give a good show three seasons to build a following. Still, seeing what the networks offer up as replacements, you have to wonder if it's worth it in the long run.

I think Dark Angel could have done this if they wouldn't have cancelled it and I think John Doe can if given more time.
                  Maybe, but maybe not.

FastLane will never be a hit.
                  Probably not. If the Jaime Pressly-Tiffani Thiessen hottub scene didn't bring the male viewers in, nothing will.
                  "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Well, if the idiots at FOX were willing to screw with and cancel Firefly, I can see them do other boneheaded moves. You know, the worst thing about how FOX treated Firefly was they shuffled the season! What I mean, is that instead of the season going 1, 2, 3... FOX made the season go 3, 1, 2. I don't know any show that was treated like it. The last show they showed was the PILOT! Jeez!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Was Hari taken?
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

They did treat Firefly badly... And FOX's commitment to baseball just makes it tougher for any new program. The show starts... and then stops for a month... and then comes back.

If they had given it a late summer start instead, it would probably would have built a loyal enough audience to survive the baseball break. That same strategy worked for a few of their other shows.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                        X