120 people sucked out of airplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 people sucked out of airplane

More than 120 people are feared dead in the Democratic Republic of Congo after being sucked out of a cargo plane.

Military officials are quoted as saying that the rear ramp of a plane became detached soon after it had taken off from the capital, Kinshasa, on an internal flight.

Airport sources told the BBC in Kinshasa that only the Russian crew members survived.

An inquiry is said to be under way.

Source: BBC

Here's more from the BBC:

The accident took place on Thursday night at an altitude of some 7,000 feet (2,200 metres) about 45 minutes after the plane took off.

The plane had been chartered by the military and was flying from Kinshasa to Congo's second city, Lubumbashi.

The Russian crew was able to turn the Ilyushin 76 around and land at Kinshasa airport following the incident.

A senior air force officer said an inquiry was under way.

There has not yet been any official comment from the government.

The BBC's Mark Dummett in Kinshasa says there are often plane accidents in the vast country.

He says the poor state of the roads and the terrible state of the economy means any journey over distance requires a hair-raising ride in a poorly-maintained aircraft.

Comment

don't the Congolese have their own pilots?
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Those Russian pilots have some guts to keep doing their jobs on those crap airplanes
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

the 76 is a solid cargo plane. The problem is the lack of maintenance.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

so,... => crap airplanes
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

yeah, well.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

That's like saying if you wreck your car while you're drunk, it's the car's fault.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

More like saying if you buy a nice reliable car and drive it into the ground with no servicing for 20 years you shouldn't be surprised when it breaks down.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

I wonder who was getting rid of what kind of political prisoners?
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Maybe it was Canadian paratroopers? Forgot the guns, and the parachutes!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Always wear your seatbelts, people.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

only in the DRC
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

this is terrible... how can anyone laugh about this?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't think it was an accident.

Not with all of them falling out. Perhaps if they were on the floor, bound at the hands, and the pilot climbed suddenly, but the rear cargo door opening in flight doesn't "suck people out."

A number of cargo planes have been designed to open at the rear in flight to drop cargo or paratroops, and crewchiefs, jumpmasters, etc. work back there.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                              X