The Adventures of President Zkribbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Adventures of President Zkribbler

About six weeks ago, I posted a thread entitled, "Boy, that was certainly an interesting day." It was about how I suddenly became President of my local at the court, and two hours later I found out that court management had scheduled half my membership for termination when they reached their second year anniversary. So here's the update.

We found a clause in our union contract which protected everyone hired before July 25, 2001. Management had to acknowledge it, and that saved three people's jobs. The next people aren't scheduled for termination until next September, which gives me some maneuvering room.

I filed a grievance on behalf of the remaining people. Usually, a grievance is 1/4 to 1/2 page long. Mine, for a variety of reasons, was 7 pages long, plus exhibits.

Soon after that, another management atrocity. The court claimed poverty and announced it would be closing down for a total of eight days over a three month period so it didn't have to pay its workers.

Me and some other union members...er..."gained access" to the court's warehouses, where we found over $ 2 million dollars worth of computer equipment. And there was another $1.2 million-worth of newly ordered computers on the way. I took pictures while others did an inventory, and we sent the info to our lobbist in Sacramento.

The next thing we know, the State Senate and the Chief Justice are involved. The Chief Justice threatens to take over L.A. courts if they close down. Finally, Sacramento coughs up $ 3 million to pay for an unexpected pension bill to the LA courts from L.A. county, and L.A. courts agree to cancel most of the newly ordered computers--and best of all, the courts stay open.

Some of us fly up to San Francisco to meet with the AOC--the Adminstrative Office of the Court--headed by the Chief Justice. We thank him for his efforts and discuss an idea that both we and he have independently come up with. Because the courts have to pass along to the State all fees and fines they collect, there's no real effort to do so. The CJ estimates that $100 million per year goes uncollected. Our lobbyist meets with some Senators, and there's now a bill going through the Leglislature to give the courts a cut of everything they collect.

Later, one of my members tells me of a $50 million court construction fund. True, by law, it can only be used for construction of new court facilities. But that's why God created lobbyists. We have our lobbyist contact the Legislature. I mean, what politician is going to say, "No, we want you to build court houses even though you can't afford to keep them open." There's now a bill which permits the court to tap into that money to balance its budget.

I met with court counsel to explain our grievance. He starts off the meeting with confidence...but as I go through my arguments, he's turning grayer and grayer and grayer. I give him my person word that if it's a matter of money, the union will get the court the money it needs to pay my people for their raises and benefits. He says he'll get back to me in writing within 10 days.

Last weekend, I flew up to Sacramento for our union's annual P.E.O.P.L.E. conference. We're addressed by the Governor, the Attorney General, the Speaker of the Assembly, and various State Senators and Assembly persons. I yam impressed. On Monday, we go to the officers of various legislators urging them to vote for our bills dealing with court fees, and the construction fund. They are very responsive.

Upon returning from Sacramento, I don't find the written response to our grievance that I was expecting. I e-mail court counsel to ask what's up. He asks for an extension until next Friday. I know that if I push him, he simply deny it--and I figure something's up. I find out that the heard of the Senate Judiciary Committee--who is very pro-union--is meeting with top court managment. Coincidence?? I think not. I bet she'll be pushing the court on this issue. So, I grant the extension to let the good Senator work her magic.

Everyone, keep your fingers crossed.

best of luck with everything
    happy to see unions doing what they're intended to do
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Nice work dog.

It's such bs the way money gets thrown around and the people are usually the last ones to get it.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

$2m worth of computer equipment just sitting there in the warehouse?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The Governor suks!
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Good work Zkribbler!

Erm, I mean 'Mr President'...
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              Erm, I mean 'Mr President'...
              Whew, you showed respect just in time. I was about to unleash my hoard of union goons upon you.

Comment

Nice work Zkrib
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

The worst thing about the whole story is that in various forms, that sort of inefficiency is repeated thousands of times throughout the state itself and state agencies.

Good work at rooting it out. Now just do the seminar circuit or consultancy and duplicate it a thousand times, or else run for office.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

President Zkribbler

Best.Bandname.Ever.

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

"I was about to unleash my hoard of union goons upon you. "

Oh well, that's not so bad then. I was worried about the IRS.

Comment

Zkribbler, do you know you don't have a PM option? I want to send you my phone #. Is your email current? Mine is not... (Don't tell anyone)

Comment

Superior ULTRA Bump!(tm)

Comment

Lancer - Yes: (a) I know I don't have have the PM option, and (b) my email address is current.

Comment

Working...
                            X