No announcement yet.

Why the Nevada nuclear disposal site is a GOOD idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about antartica- sure a few green whingers are gonna complain but aprt form the moss ther is no life at the center, the penguins and seals will be safe. International terrorists aren't gonna be able to get it.

There easy solution
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Yes it should go to Nevada. The government owns like 50% of the land in that state, so there won't be extra-exorbitant costs with every single shipment made.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        The government owns like 50% of the land in that state, so there won't be extra-exorbitant costs with every single shipment made.
        The government also owns large chunks of New Mexico, Arizona, California, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Norath and South Dakota, and Washington State. Parts of New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah are even MORE desolate and remote than Nevada. Further, around New Mexico the seismic potential is much less than that of Nevada. More, Las Vegas is less than 100 miles from Yucca Mountain and is one of the nation's fastest growing cities. Damn right they're concerned about their aquifer.

Also, the state of Nevada is threatening not only to sue to prevent any further progress on the repository, but there's been rumbling that if that fails we'll charge for shipments. It's a State's rights vs. Federal rights issue to some.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Ship it over here to Utah. Please.
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
            Actually, a completely feasible case was made some years ago for burial in deep ocean sediments @ > 12,000 feet depth. There are a large number of geologically stable, fundamentally lifeless areas of the ocean floor where sediment layers are hundreds of feet thick and sediment migration in virtually none.

Between the left whining about "ocean dumping" and the lessened pork barrel revenue for right-connected contractors, the idea was stillborn, even though it's demonstrably the most sound idea both technically and economically.
            Actually, I think ocean dumping is a good idea. Put it in presureized canisters and drop the stuff in the Marianas Trench. Eventually it'll get sucked back into the Earth.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm all for the antartica idea, encase it in a layer of ice that won't melt for 10,000 years.

Comment

IIRC, some of the biggest opponents of this are the local Republican politicians in Nevada. But sure, let's be like Rush Limbaugh and ignorantly blame the "left".
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by gsmoove23
                  I'm all for the antartica idea, encase it in a layer of ice that won't melt for 10,000 years.
                  10,000 years isn't good enough.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

But sure, let's be like Rush Limbaugh and... blame the "left".
                    Works for me (I love paraphrasing)

If it's going to nevada, why don't we just replace all the neon lights with the rods? Save a lot of electricity don't ya think?
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      IIRC, some of the biggest opponents of this are the local Republican politicians in Nevada. But sure, let's be like Rush Limbaugh and ignorantly blame the "left".
                      NIMBY transcends political parties.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Actually, I think ocean dumping is a good idea. Put it in presureized canisters and drop the stuff in the Marianas Trench. Eventually it'll get sucked back into the Earth.
                        Trenches aren't the way to go, because they're extremely active. There's a lot of mid-ocean wastelands where you're equisdistant from crust-forming zones (like the Mid-Atlantic ridge) and subduction zones. Out in the Pacific, there's some spots that are over 1000 miles from any notable geologic activity.

The higher density of the containers means they would eventually bore themselves into sediment, get covered up, and sink to the bottom. Migration studies showed that even if the containers corrode, you wouldn't see significant movement of radionuclides for hundreds of thousands of years to millions of years.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144

NIMBY transcends political parties.
                          exactly my point...
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Can't we just send it all to asia like we do with rest of our hazardous junk?
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                              If you can launch space probes near the sun, you can launch nuclear waste INTO the sun and be done with it. And you could do the smart thing and ABANDON nuclear power production all together and focus on less risky technologies. Then you'd only have to worry about what you've got, not what you'll have.
                              (a) Nuke power infrastructure is essential to a lot of countries economically, and it can be operated safely.

(b) Do you have any idea of orbital lift cost? With Delta IVs, it's about $4,400 a pound. It takes more than that to move out of orbit. Before you get all excited about that, remember that the dilution and shielding of the rad waste is far heavier than the waste itself. To transport it in small packages, 20 to 1 is probably a close weight ratio, so your pound of payload is 1/20 of a pound of waste. $88,000 per pound of waste into orbit, plus all those greenhouse gasses, plus the extra cost out of orbit, and the risk of payload loss and reentry....

You greenies really need to learn a bit about how stuff actually works.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

you mean marines dashi?
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X