Bill Bennett: All I can do is laugh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caligastia -
    To be honest, I know very little about Bill Bennett, except that he is being attacked for gambling - something I don't find morally objectionable - and that he has made his opinions on moral issues public.
    He isn't being attacked for gambling, he's being criticised for the double standards he employs to "justify" punishing others. And he does more than simply express opinions, he has worked in government to punish people for their "vices" and supports the continued persecution of these people.

I would be suprised if he really believes "any activity which someone might do to excess to cause harm to others" is morally wrong for all, because that is idiotic. I'd really like to hear him defend himself on this one.
    Not all activities, just the activities he doesn't like. Btw, that is exactly what he does. Millions of people have been jailed for their "vices", not because they've hurt others, but because SOME of them have hurt others. Recently he campaigned against a Nevada referendum to legalise relatively small amounts of pot and his argument was that there would be more traffic fatalities. That means all the people who don't drive under the influence are being punished because of those who do. An accurate analogy would be to punish everyone who uses alcohol because some alcohol users cause traffic fatalities. I agree, that is idiotic.

Because it's full of moralists criticizing a moralist for doing something that they won't actually come out and say is immoral because their ideology won't allow them to make a judgement and call it moral.
    If we don't believe gambling is immoral, why would we say it is?

Is it excessive? Considering how much money he makes, I suspect not.
    I didn't say Bennett's gambling was excessive.

If he has preached against gambling in the past, I will call him a hypocrite.
    You aren't getting this, his hypocrisy is not gambling. He wants other people put in jail for activities that are not inherently immoral because SOME people who engage in those activities do so to excess and hurt others. But that's true for gambling too...SOME people gamble to excess and hurt others.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      Missed ya Cali!

I don't get to post as much nowdays, my work has a new internet policy in place, and wee wifey needs attention when I'm at home...

Berzerker - Youre too late, I've been assimilated.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

and wee wifey needs attention when I'm at home...
        I understand...
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

Ah, my bad. Didn't see your post.
          It's okay. I think we should stop mentioning the Daily Show, and just use their quotes as our own.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
          X