Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheney to be Bush's running mate again

Cheney to be Bush running mate
    US Vice President **** Cheney has agreed to be President George W Bush's running mate in the 2004 elections, despite a history of heart trouble.

"The president has asked me if I would serve again as his running mate. I've agreed to do that," he told The Dallas Morning News.

Mr Cheney has been a leading hawk on Iraq and is one of Mr Bush's closest advisers.

He has had four heart attacks - the most recent in 2000 - but he insisted that past health problems would not deter him from running for re-election.

"Everything is fine," he said. "If I ran into problems where I felt I couldn't serve, I'd be the first to say so and step down."

Mr Cheney, 61, underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 1988.

"I've got a doc with me 24 hours a day, who watches me very carefully," he said.

Halliburton role

He said he did not know when Mr Bush would officially announce his bid for re-election.

CAREER MILESTONES
    1969: Political staffer, Nixon administration
    1975-77: Chief of Staff to Gerald Ford
    1978-89: Congressman
    1989-93: Defence Secretary
    2001: Vice President
    Mr Cheney's business connections are under scrutiny as the Securities and Exchange Commission investigates accounting practices at the oil services firm Halliburton, where he was formerly chief executive officer.

Halliburton's role in post-war Iraq has now been expanded to include operating Iraqi oilfields.

Previously, the US Army Corps of Engineers had described the contract given to Halliburton - run by Mr Cheney between 1995 and 2000 - as putting out fires at oil wells during the conflict.

Analysts say that in foreign affairs, Mr Cheney has been the main White House bridge between the Pentagon and the State Department - although he is thought to lean more towards the Pentagon.

Aide to Bush senior

As defence secretary under George Bush senior, he planned and co-ordinated the 1991 campaign along with Colin Powell, now secretary of state.

He later left the political limelight to run Halliburton between 1995 and 2000.

On returning to politics, he was charged with developing a national energy policy as the head of an Energy Task Force commissioned by the president.

Born in Nebraska, Mr Cheney grew up in Casper, Wyoming. He won a scholarship to Yale but dropped out after a few terms and returned to Wyoming.

Mr Cheney later returned to college to get a masters at the University of Wyoming.

He became a political staffer in 1969, and six years later was appointed chief of staff in President Gerald Ford's White House - at the age of 34 he was the youngest person to have held the position.

His career then took him to Congress, where he became a staunch Reagan supporter before taking the job of defence secretary under George Bush senior.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2003/05/07 14:46:39
    Looks like Bush will once again just be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

He's trying to keep things open for his brother in 2008. They're trying to create a dynasty. Hopefully Bush and Cheney will be back in the private sector in 2004.
    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Hopefully, that phantom pretzel will rear it's ugly head again.

Modern medicine can only keep Cheney going for so long.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

For the liberals, would you prefer a (brighter, less popular, more conservative) Cheney in power? Or would you rather have Bush-boy in there. Or is it like being asked which eye to shove a railroad spike in?

Comment

Cheney is in power. But yeah, it's more like the RR spike. And not liking Bush doesn't automatically make you a liberal.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Forget you liberals, Bush will win reelection. Your hopes are far off and unrealistic. So far there is not one democrat that poses even a remote possibility in defeating Bush. Thumbs up to Cheney.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Bush couldn't even beat Gore in an election. You think that he'll beat a better candidate who isn't an absolute bore?? Especially after the loss of 2.7 million jobs on his watch, a stagnant economy, record deficits, and the lies leading up to Iraq? If anything, the Democratic primaries will simply be a "Who will beat Bush" election.

Fez, you should really leave American politics to the people who live in the country and know what's going on. Your opinion is dually noted, but it's grossly irrelevant.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Bush should just pick Boris Yeltsin as his running mate and be done with it.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Sava, it will be the next 18 months that determines the election, not the last. Always seems to work that way...
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I think Bush will be beatable, if either the economy gets worse (or doesn't get better) or(/and?) the democrats can get a good candidate (though frankly I'm a little uninspired by the selection so far )
                    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Uhhh... Sava... Bush did beat Gore in the election.
                      Remember, the popular vote doesn't mean squat

If the economy has any kind of upward movement before the next election, Bush will look pretty good.
                      If the economy stays in the dumps... the Dems still have to find somebody the people like... and they sure haven't found anybody yet that a majority of Dems will support.

So Sava... it's a matter of opinion at this point, and nothing else
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

and they sure haven't found anybody yet that a majority of Dems will support.
                        ...whose name isn't Bill Clinton or George Bush .

Last edited by Edan; May 8, 2003, 16:14.
                        "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Uhhh... Sava... Bush did beat Gore in the election.
                          Remember, the popular vote doesn't mean squat
                          so says Chief Justice Rhenquist (sp?)
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Thats another thing that blows in this country - the electoral college and the system rigged so that only two parties have a viable option of winning.
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              Thats another thing that blows in this country - the electoral college and the system rigged so that only two parties have a viable option of winning.
                              sorry but we can't have people who aren't funded by corporate America getting elected...
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X