Most compassionate person ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abraham Lincoln for freeing the slaves.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Dalai Lama. It's not everyone who can be kicked out of his own country, have most of his friends and supporters murdered, the entire culture he's a representative of almost destroyed, and still be a cheerful guy who doesn't hold any enmity towards those who have harmed him and who specifically goes around discouraging violence against them. Not to mention he just goes around the world preaching compassion to anyone who will listen as part of his job.
      "Although I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to hear me tell you how wrong you are."

Comment

Big hitter, the Lama.

I would agree with Orange about compassion being relative to your capability. Kind words can be more compassionate than millions of dollars.

Mohandas K Gandi, Jesus of Nazareth, Mother Teresa, the Dalai Lama, and Dr Strangelove. Hard to pick just one, really.
        Be the bid!

Comment

To continue my thoughts from the Most Evil Person(tm) thread, the person who decides to cancel Survivor. He or she may not exist yet, however.
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Dr. Norman Bethune

Worked for years in the war zones of the world (China 20s, Spain 30s, WWII) where he perfected blood transfusion and many other medical procedures.
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by orange
              For a rich man to give a dollar is not as compassionate as it is for a poor man to give a quarter.
              Very true.

Sure Gates is giving some of his wealth to charity, but it won't make a difference to his lifestyle. He could give away 90% of his wealth and he could still live high on the hog.

But for an average income earner, a $1,000 donation means a lot and will make a big difference to their lifestyle.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

St. Ignatius of Loyola found the Society of Jesus, better known as the Jesuits.

He also may have done other things.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

A few that I can think of right now: Mother Teresa, Oscar Schindler, Ghandi, the current Dalai Lama.

Comment

The Buddha.

It's not everyone who can be kicked out of his own country, have most of his friends and supporters murdered, the entire culture he's a representative of almost destroyed
                    Now where did this crap come from?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Friedrich Nietzsche.
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
                        St. Ignatius of Loyola found the Society of Jesus, better known as the Jesuits.

He also may have done other things.
                        The Jesuits? You mean the brains behind the Spanish Inquisition? Nice going, GePap; you may have found the one saint who doesn't qualify!
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

He was talking about a specific person.

tesekkur ederim
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            He was talking about a specific person.

tesekkur ederim
                            Oh, I know; it's just that, a the founder of a society that could imagine that the Inquisition was a good idea, St. Iggy surely loses points.

Bir sey degil.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Since Sten Stenish is being greedy please post phone numbers to hot and lonely Turkish ladies.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You know, I think it's one of those universal rules that "hot ladies" and "lonely ladies" are mutually exclusive categories.

Comment

Working...
                                X