Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let more computer trouble: what is it with me and these bloody things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let more computer trouble: what is it with me and these bloody things?

Yesterday, I managed to acquire some more RAM for my computer; another 256MB of PC133 SDRAM, to be precise. My aging motherboard has 3 RAM slots, all of which were occupied. With some creative moving around of the various sticks, I ended up with the following:

Slot 1: 64MB PC100 SDRAM
    Slot 2: 128MB PC133 SDRAM
    Slot 3: Same again

giving me a grand total of 320MB of RAM, if I'm not mistaken. So I boot the computer up, only to be told that I have 192MB of RAM.

This is clearly a falsehood. I've tried all the various sticks in different slots but I still get the same result. My computer only supports RAM speeds up to PC100, but I was under the impression that SDRAM slows itself down to match the highest speed your motherboard is capable of. Or am I wrong?

Any help you could offer in this matter would be appreciated, provided it's useful help.
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Okay you might have some bad ram.

Put in each stick at a time and boot up to see what they read. One stick may be bad. My suspicion is that it could be the new one, the 256MB stick that is bad, as 64 + 128 = 192.

This is a way I tracked down some bad ram in my machine some time ago...
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

There isn't a 256MB stick in it. When I said "Same again", I meant that there was another 128MB stick in it.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. And I have a nagging suspicion that you're right, I just wanted to see if there was anything else I could try before I start arsing around inside my computer....again.
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Comment

Oh I misinterpreted what you said. Yeah, I would just go through each stick and test it. One at a time. Unfortunately, not much of a choice.... to make here...
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

No, I don't think the system will adjust to the 133 sticks. I had the same problem and I could never get it to work. And I spent hours trying, testing each stick one at a time. I'd suggest taking it back and getting a couple of 100's.

Comment

It would seem that you're right. It seems to register them as being 64MB sticks when they're actually 128MB.

And PC100 sticks are hard to get hold of: it's the only reason that I actually bought PC133 ones in the first place.

Comment

Can you get the 2 x 128's to work without the 64 one?
              The latter won't do any good if you're running '98 or ME anyway.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hanson
                It would seem that you're right. It seems to register them as being 64MB sticks when they're actually 128MB.

And PC100 sticks are hard to get hold of: it's the only reason that I actually bought PC133 ones in the first place.
                I'm surprised you get them to register at all. When I ran into the problem, my system didn't even recognize the card. I couldn't even get my BIOS to start up.

And yes, I know that PC100 cards are hard to find. I got lucky and found a place close to home that had just opened up. You should look for a place that does upgrade work, as well as sell brand new systems. They might have some cards available from older systems they've worked on.

Comment

133 sticks will also be able to go at 100 speed. Compatability with your m/b might be a problem though.

Fez's advice is good - test each one sepeartely.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Write today down in your diary, Fez.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I have had PC133 sticks to run at 100 a long time ago... when I had an older board.

Slowwhand: Huh?

Comment

This is what Sisoft Sandra says about my RAM:

Memory Controller
                        Error Detection Method : 8-bit parity
                        Error Correction Capability : None
                        Supported/Current Memory Interleave : 1-way / 1-way
                        Number of Memory Slots : 3
                        Maximum Installable Memory : 384MB
                        Maximum Module Size : 128MB
                        Supported STD/FPM/(B)EDO Speeds : 70ns, 60ns
                        Supported SDRAM Speeds : PC66, PC100
                        Supported Memory Types : STD, SDRAM
                        Supported Memory Voltages : 3.3V

Physical/BIOS Memory Banks
                        A0 (RASL-1) : 64MB SIMM BEDO SDRAM ESDRAM single-bank
                        A1 (RASL-2) : 64MB SIMM single-bank
                        A2 (RASL-3) : 64MB SIMM single-bank

Logical/Chipset Memory Banks
                        Bank 0 Setting : 64MB SDRAM 8-1-1-1R 6-2-2-2W 3-3-3CL
                        Bank 1 Setting : 64MB SDRAM 8-1-1-1R 6-2-2-2W 3-3-3CL
                        Bank 2 Setting : 64MB SDRAM 8-1-1-1R 6-2-2-2W 3-3-3CL
                        Power Down Mode : No
                        Fixed Hole Present : No

Memory Module(s)
                        Memory Module 1 : Micron 64MB 8x(8M SDRAM PC100-323-622 (CL3 upto 125MHz) (CL2 upto 77MHz)
                        Memory Module 2 : Kingston 16MX64PC133CL3168 170E6400 128MB 4x(16Mx16) SDRAM PC133U-333-542 (CL3 upto 133MHz) (CL2 upto 100MHz)
                        Memory Module 3 : Kingston 16MX64PC133CL3168 140F5A00 128MB 4x(16Mx16) SDRAM PC133U-333-542 (CL3 upto 133MHz) (CL2 upto 100MHz)

Despite clearly recognising that the last two modules are 128MB, it only registers them as being 64MB. How odd.

Comment

Did you test them individually? It may turn out even worse than I thought, both 128MB sticks could possibly be bad...

Comment

I've tried them all individually, and they all show up as being 64MB.

Comment

Skankt- "Fez's advice is good - test each one sepeartely."

Recognized for knowledge, with no outside crap given to you.
                              I'd say that's worth writing down.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X